Noonan on Wright

Peggy Noonan compares Jeremiah Wright to the Wolfe Tones. A must-read.

(Hat tip: Andrew Sullivan.)

10 Responses to “Noonan on Wright”

1. Joe Loy says:

Brilliant. / Begob but that Noonan lass is Good. :}

For just as the (long-since-Decommissioned :) Tones’ corpus of lyrical work is still fondly-&-Guiltily recalled from the days when the lads actually were the Travelling Entertainment Corps of the IRA, so Pastor Wright’s obsolete hermeneutics evoke nostalgic reminiscences of a time when they did represent the prevailing exegesis in the Black Militants’ Theological Seminary. / Blessedly, those days ~ like Wright’s & the Wolfetones’ ~ are Over & done with. (Well. Except for a few elderly fellers still Bitterly clinging to their Old Time Religions & their Ould Fenian Guns. :)

2. Aaron says:

Yep. Pretty much right on.

3. Duck says:

Pretty unenlightening, actually. Kind of weak for Noonan.

It seems people enjoy the Wolfe Tones concert as she described because it is a kind of communal play acting. Wright on the other hand, seems to be dealing opiate to the masses who will turn their unsatiated hunger for victim patronage in demand of the government, i.e., the taxpayer, if their insane fears and anxieties are not quickly placated.

God Damn America ! That’s in the Bible ! [Where, exactly?].

What Rev. Wright hates is what lots of socialists hate. A society where people are free to come and go in society (with their wealth, thought, and action) as they please, and not according to others’ needs.

Rev. Wright opposes slavery for the poor. But slavery for rich whites ? He wets himself at the thought. How far is that from socialism ? Not much I take it. So conservatives are right to be concerned that Obama licked Ayers’ toes and kissed Wright’s @$$ (until it became politically unpopular at least).

I think Noonan is just desirous to play the always fun “I’m so over it” card.

4. Joe Loy says:

Duck, I won’t quibble with your quackery on the questions of Obama, Wright & Socialism (there clearly being no Point :) but let me assure you that the activities so Enjoyably described, endorsed, & subsidized at Wolfe Tones concerts were Not Any “kind of communal play acting.”

5. Scientizzle says:

This whole Rev. Wright thing is so ridiculous. I find some validity in the idea that this is a big deal in the media because it’s an angry black man who has expressed these thoughts. I haven’t heard 0.01% of the attention paid to various candidates’ white spiritual advisers and endorsers with serious Wright-esque warts

For example, John McCain’s “spiritual guide” (Reverend Rod Parsley) believes that the United States was founded, in part, to destroy Islam:

The fact is that America was founded, in part, with the intention of seeing this false religion destroyed, and I believe September 11, 2001, was a generational call to arms that we can no longer ignore. (Silent No More, 2005)

Would it be safe to assume that this is John McCain’s position since he hasn’t made a public denunciation? That’s what has been demanded of Obama…

Isn’t it just as relevant that McCain accepted an endorsement from a vile little man that refers to the Catholic Church as “The Great Whore,” an “apostate church,” the “anti-Christ,” and a “false cult system”?

This is not to excuse anything Wright has said, which I find largely odious and misinformed. Nor am I unaware of the various apples-and-oranges issues in making direct comparisons across the variable situations…however, if such a scene is to be made about one candidate’s religious development and associated stance, why isn’t there comparable attention to the foul stench coming from other religious figures and their “relevance” to the race?

I don’t post often on these political threads because I’m not into mud-slinging and partisan shouting, but I’m interested to know what the other intelligent readers of this forum think of this apparent (maybe wholly superficially so) double-standard…

6. Trojan in Kenya says:

I think that “spiritual adviser” is a variable phrase, one that means different things in different contexts. Rod Parsley is an idiot, a bigot, and a fascist. So is John Hagee. But neither of those married John and Cindy McCain. Neither of those imbeciles had John McCain as a regular member of their congregations for 20 years. I’m not sure there is a double standard…Pat Robertson’s been quiet and Jerry Falwell’s dead. Otherwise, anything those two hatemongers said in support of McCain WOULD be heavily reported. Parsley and Hagee are hangers-on, not mentors, and that’s why I believe it’s at least fair to have the discussion of Wright’s “influence” on Obama without a similar one for McCain. But between you and me…

I think that we all know Obama is a vaguely Christian secularist who needed to get some black church-street cred on the south side of Chicago when he wanted to get started in politics. Since he’s not the descendant of slaves and went to Harvard Law School, something was needed to get the stink of the upwardly mobile half-blood off his hands, (so the argument goes). As a result, he plugged into Wright’s church as a way of establishing community bona fides, NOT as a dearly-held source of dearly-held doctrine. That’s just what I suspect, anyway.

I also suspect that John McCain is a vaguely Christian secularist who has a few more “family values” than Barack Obama, but not much. I bet that in his heart of hearts, his cosmology is Big Bang, and his creation story is evolution. But, of course, he had to give the commencement address at Falwell’s Liberty University and take endorsements from the imbecilic Hagee and Parsley for the same reason Barack has danced with Wright. The only difference is, as I said above, Obama danced longer and it was the tango.

But hey, at least McCain’s crazy evangelicals have real hard-ons for Israel these days. No “Himeytown” comments from his guys!

Incidentally, where I’ve been teaching outside Nairobi, Barack Obama is thought of as one of their own. When I asked a local college student (and English Literature major) what other great black leaders in America he admired, he looked at me quizzically and said, “Dr. King and Michael Jordan.” No Jesse Jackson, no Al Sharpton, and certainly no Jeremiah Wright.

As someone raised in the southern evangelical tradition that both candidates allegedly embrace, I must say that I’m split on whether the proliferation of idiots is a good thing or a bad thing. The more that “Protestantism in America” means the positive-thinking bullshit of Joel Osteen and the angry eschatological rantings of Hagee/Parsley/Robertson, the sooner that the “mainstream theology” is apparently represented by clearly in-credible people. That either means a corporate rethinking of the fear-of-end-times/damned-to-hell mindscrew that preacher’s kids like me got, or an easier to disregard fear-of-end-times/damned-to-hell mindscrew.

Well, easier to disregard in adulthood, anyway.

Word up, ‘tizzle. I get back in June, then we can have it out over the hyperbole and smugness of your greatest expositors, Dawkins and Hitchens. :) Love to ‘tits. :) And love to y’all, Loys, too.

-Chris

7. copndor says:

You should post here more often.

You shouldn’t.

9. Joe Loy says:

Yes you should. Definitely. )

I should get an ESP hat tip, since I thought of Brendan right after reading Noonan’s article on Friday morning and meant to send him the link.

I understand Noonan’s point, and I can respect aspects of what she’s trying to say, but I think she hurts her credibility by ignoring the fact that her Irish-American friends who follow such acts as the Wolfe Tones also financially supported the IRA and their waves of terrorism over the past few decades. Now, perhaps terrorism was a bit more “innocent” then and conceived as defensible depending on who was suffering the terrorists’ blows, but in a post-9/11 world, that’s no longer the case and Noonan knows it.

Free speech is free speech, but the violent language expressed by the Irish-American towards the Brits who did evil to his ancestors is not acceptable in today’s world and should be condemned just as much as we’d condemn violent language by Arabs against Israel. Similarly, Wright’s outbursts are antithetical to what Christian teach calls for: peace, love, and unity — not divisiveness, hate, and grudges against other ethnic groups. Holding on to the anger of the past to feel cultural solidarity is precisely the opposite of progress, healing, and tolerance.

Noonan’s article thus fails not because she misdiagnoses the Wright syndrome, but because she explains away Wright’s anger by citing the popular nature of her Irish-heritage grievances, the angry, hate-filled, and violent expressions of which should also be condemned. Instead, since the Wolfe Tones’ violent songs are acceptable, so must be black vindictiveness. Sorry Peggy, wrong answer.