The big 6-0

Sixty years ago today, Harry S. Truman was President of the United States; Joseph Stalin was the Premier of the Soviet Union; Israel wasn’t a country yet; gas cost $0.26 a gallon, and crude oil was $2.50 a barrel; a first-class stamp cost 3 cents; the minimum wage was 40 cents per hour; John McCain was 11 years old; the singer Kenny Loggins was five weeks old; the New York Yankees were reigning World Champions after beating rookie Jackie Robinson and the Brooklyn Dodgers the previous fall; Army’s football team had recently seen their 32-game unbeaten streak snapped; the defending NCAA basketball champ was Holy Cross; there were only 21 amendments to the U.S. Constitution; the fastest any human being had ever run a mile was 4 minutes and 1.4 seconds; the Dow Jones Industrial Average was at 167; and, oh yes, my dad was born.

That’s right — it’s the illustrious Joe Loy’s 60th birthday!!

I encourage everyone to leave comments making fun of him for being old. :) Er, and wishing him a happy birthday, too, of course. Hehe.

Happy Birthday, Dad/Papa!!

P.S. Obviously, my dad was a Valentine’s baby. What’s funny is that Valentine’s Day fell on a Saturday in 1948, so if he’d been born a few hours earlier, he would have been a Friday the 13th baby instead!

Also, a fun fact that I learned while researching the history of 1948 for purposes of this post: ten days before my dad was born, an election was held in Ireland, and Fianna Fáil was voted out. As a result, four days after my dad’s birth, Éamon de Valera, the first Taoiseach of Ireland, ceded power to John Costello. I’m sure infant Joe had an Irish song prepared for the occasion. :)

There is no truth, However, to the Rumor that his Birth Certificate contained several Instances of Random Capitalization for No apparent Reason. ;)

26 Responses to “The big 6-0”

1. Bonnie says:

’48 was a very good year! Come October, I’ll be joining you at 60! Have a great day, Joe! You make it look easy.

2. B. Minich says:

Happy birthday To the Father of the Proprietor of this fine Website. May you have a Great day, and May your Strange Capitalization habits Live on for Years to Come.

3. dcl says:

I’m trying to decide if it would be proper to celebrate the occasion with Silly Wizard’s “the Ramblin’ Rover” or if the classic sea shantie “the Old Dun Cow” would be more fitting. Perhaps we should put it to a vote which Irish bar song is most fitting for this great occasion?

4. Brendan says:

I cast a write-in vote for “Haul Away Joe.”

5. Loyette says:

Happy Birthday Papa!!!

6. Becky says:

Happy B-Day Joe! I might have assisted Loyette slightly in conveying her message ;)

7. CORNHUSKERS 94 95 & 97 says:

Happy Birthday Mr Loy

8. CORNHUSKERS 94 95 & 97 says:

Happy Birthday Mr Loy

9. dcl says:

I imagine that Becky simply translated Loyette. The original message was likely: gurgle gurgle spit or perhaps spit gurgle gurgle burp.

Hmm, Haul Away joe is so vague for lyrics… I mean that will just take anything that rhymes… Irish Lasses and Louie the King of France… And When Joseph was an old man is kind of slow — I was thinking something with more vigor for a birthday song. Though loud with lots of bag pipes and drums is also, obviously, acceptable.

10. jlr says:

He’s a V-day baby. You’re practically a Halloween baby. Loyette is a New Year’s Baby.

You people need to figure out how to celebrate one thing at a time.

Happy birthday, Joe.

And Becky’s a Flag Day baby!

dcl, the next time I visit the D.C. area, you and I are going out to a pub with live Irish music.

13. V says:

Happy Birthday, Joe!

14. Angela says:

Happy birthday, Joe! From a 71 year old reader of your son’s very interesting website.

15. dcl says:

Consider it done, I have three.

16. Leanna Loomer says:

1974 – 1976 : That’s Joe Loy over there.

1976 – (ahem)

1977 – I made an honest man of him.

1981 – We got some good news on St. Patrick’s Day (really).

1982 to the present – We’re On The Road To God Knows Where.

P.S. Happy birthday, my love.

17. Joe Loy says:

Mah :)

* * * * * * * *

Many thanks to all Wellwishers. You’re all very Kind & very Funny too ;}.

My very special Thankyoudarlin’ to the childgenius Loyette (and her brilliant assistant Becky :) may be rendered phonetically in Either (a) the ancient spoken tongue of the Tuatha de Denaan, Or (b) the everyday vernacular of the Senior-citizen demographic, as Follows: gurgle gurgle spit / spit gurgle gurgle burp / whack fol the diddle o the dye doe day. :>

and Thank You, Brendan, for that tour de force of Remarkable research, writing, & Photo selection :). Especially am I flattered by the Meltdown of Dali’s timepieces, probably from the immemorially-persistent ravages of sheer Age upon their Mainsprings; and of course by the tribute to my trophy Smallmouth fingerling at Pleasant Lake ;>. I have no Hibernian lyric that could adequately express my appreciation so you’ll have to make do with a spot of Brit versification :} .

Love you, young padawan Old kiddoe :]. Thanks again. / And Again, to All.

~ Joe

hAppY birTHdAy jOE :D

Other famous Valentines babies Joe gets to party with:

George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. (1859) – Inventor of the Ferris Wheel

Jack Benny (1894) – American actor and comedian (also “played” the violin)

Woody Hayes (1913) – College Football Coach (The Ohio State University)

Jimmy Hoffa (1913) – Union leader who famously dissapeared in 1975

Michael Bloomberg (1942) – Current mayor of New York and potential independent Presidential candidate

Teller (1948) – Silent half of the comedy/magic duo Penn and Teller (hey, same day!)

Drew Bledsoe (1972) – Former NFL quarterback, succeeded at New England by some gay named Tom Brady

February 14th also marks the anniversary of admission of Oregon (1859) and Arizona (1912) as states. Oregon was the 33rd state, and Arizona was the 48th, and last of the contiguous states.

some gay named Tom Brady

Does Gisele know? Poor woman must be heartbroken!

(I realize it was a typo, but it’s one of the funnier typos I’ve seen in a while. Heh.)

20. Alasdair says:

Mazel Tov, Joe the Elder !

Look at it this way – in 4 more years, you will be 40 {hexadecimal} … me, I’m still 36 {hexadecimal} for a few more months …

21. Anonymous Hoosier says:

Happy Birthday!

22. Mike's brother Matt says:

Happy Birthday, Joe! If not for your Rambling, Semi-insane digressions, I wouldn’t Laugh nearly as Often.

Happy birthday, Joe! I suspect that far more babies are conceived on Valentine’s Day than delivered, but you were never one to go with the grain anyways (unless that grain happened to be distilled…).

24. MumZ says: