State of the Union liveblogging

powered by Hipcast.com

source file

UPDATE: Above, you can listen to a live audioblogged clip of President Bush being introduced.

In case you’re wondering, CNN reported that Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne is the odd man out of the State of the Union tonight, preserving the line of succession in case the unthinkable happens.

I wonder if Kempthorne was as momentarily alarmed as I was when the TV signal, on CNN at least, appeared to cut out for a split-second. It came right back on, but my heart skipped a beat there. If somebody blew up the Congress, that’s how it might look on TV, no? Everything’s normal, and then — [no signal].

Anyway… President Bush just said if we don’t pass new trade agreements, it will “embolden the purveyors of false populism in our hemisphere.” You mean like Mike Huckabee and John Edwards? :)

UPDATE 2: Heh. Great minds think alike. Or something.

UPDATE 3: Did I just hear some guy loudly yelling something at the tail end of the round of applause for the success of the surge?

UPDATE 4: Hopefully next year at this time, we’ll have a president who can say “nuclear.”

UPDATE 5: “Our message to the Iranian people is clear: When Iran gets her freedom, boy, you’ll get your motor car!

UPDATE 6:America opposes genocide in Sudan”?!? Well that’s a relief! Here I thought we supported it! Seriously, what kind of weak-ass language is that… ridiculous!

UPDATE 7: A-ha… it sounded dumb because he flubbed the line, plus there was an inappropriate applause break. He was supposed to say, “America is opposing genocide in Sudan and supporting freedom in countries from Cuba and Zimbabwe to Belarus and Burma.”

UPDATE 8: BOB DOLE!!!

UPDATE 9: Mark it down: he said “he State of Union will remain strong” … at 10:02 PM. It was the second-to-the-last sentence of the speech.

Lame.

UPDATE 10: Who are these dorky congresspeople kissing Bush’s ass on his way out? “You make me proud to be an American”? Gag me. Methinks the audio feed is a bad idea for the maintenance of these people‘s dignity…

UPDATE 11: I agree with Fox’s Fred Barnes — the best line of the speech was: “Others have said they would personally be happy to pay higher taxes. I welcome their enthusiasm, and I am pleased to report that the I.R.S. accepts both checks and money orders.” Heh. I laughed out loud.

UPDATE 12: Bush just almost shared a Lieberman-like kiss with Barney Frank! Teehee.

UPDATE 13: Charles Krauthammer is the creepiest-looking person on earth.

UPDATE 14: OMG! Nancy Pelosi was “mouthing”!

Looks more like she was chewing gum or something.

UPDATE 15: Good opening to Sebelius’s speech. All about bipartisanship, etc. Very Obama-esque!

UPDATE 16: Here’s the text:

I’m a Democrat, but tonight, it really doesn’t matter whether you think of yourself as a Democrat…or a Republican…or an Independent. Or…none-of-the-above.

Instead, the fact you’re tuning in this evening tells me each of you is, above all…

…an American, first.

You are mothers, and fathers. Grandparents, and grandchildren. Working people, and business-owners. Americans, all.

And the American people – folks like you, and me – are not nearly as divided as our rancorous politics might suggest.

In fact, right now, tonight, as political pundits discuss the President’s speech – chances are, they’ll obsess over the reactions of Members of Congress.

“How many times was the President interrupted by applause? Did Republicans stand? Did Democrats sit?”

And the rest of us will roll our eyes and think, “What in the world does any of that have to do with me?”

And, so, I want to take a slight detour from tradition on this State of the Union night.

In this time, normally reserved for the partisan response, I hope to offer you something more:

An American Response.

A national call to action on behalf of the struggling families in the heartland, and across this great country. A wakeup call to Washington, on behalf of a new American majority, that time is running out on our opportunities to meet our challenges and solve our problems.

UPDATE 17: A possible reason to vote against McCain: we’d be replacing a guy who pronounces “nuclear” “nukular” with a guy pronounces “Washington” “Warshington.”

14 Responses to “State of the Union liveblogging”

1. Condor says:

The only thing that kept me watching was the .0000000000001% chance that the whole place would get swallowed up by a black hole.

2. Texasyank says:

Yeah: “An American Response.”

Just do what the Democrats say on Iraq.

Lucky she’s such a stirring orator.

It’s an extremely tough format. As SOTU responses go, I thought it was pretty good.

4. Joe Loy says:

UPDATE 18: but it IS pronounced “Warshington”. Just ask the folks in Downstate Ellanoy and Westr’nn Murr’l’nd. :} Yes, the peoples of the ancestral lands of Loyette’s paternal greatgrandparents know how things are supposed to be Said. :)

Okay then, but are we also to assume (from Ted Kennedy’s speech today) that “America” is, in fact, pronounced “Americer”?

6. Jim says:

Brendan,

Regarding “false populism” I am sure you know Bush was referring to Hugo Chavez. On your thoughts on Charles Krauthammer, you surely know that he is a paraplegic and that making fun of the handicapped is not generally the mark of good parenting. Hopefully Loyette doesn’t follow your lead on that one.

p.s. you’re no Tom Brady yourself.

Jim, you’re kidding right? No seriously, your KIDDING right?!?

Making fun of someone who is handicapped for their handicap is frowned on, but making fun of them in general? Why is that off limits. Most handicapped people i know hate being treated differently, good or bad. And seriously i doubt brendan calling him creepy looking is such a terrible thing.

Please, please tell me you are kidding…

Handicapped people can be creepy. In fact, I think it’s a prerequisite. That, and like missing a limb or something. Which is kinda creepy, if you think about it.

1) Of course I knew what Bush was talking about, re: “false populism.” I was making a joke — and a bipartisan one, at that. Lighten up.

2) I had no idea Charles Krauthammer was paraplegic.

3) Is his paraplegia responsible for his creepy-looking facial appearance? If so, then my comment was indeed out of line (albeit unintentionally). If not, then I would echo what David said. If Nancy Pelosi became paralyzed from the waist down tomorrow (God forbid), would it suddenly not be OK to observe that she has an unfortunate deer-in-headlights look when she’s on camera? Such an observation has nothing to do with the handicap in question.

4) No, I’m not Tom Brady. On this we agree.

10. Angrier and Angrier says:

“False populism?” Isn’t populism false by its very nature? When you think about it, all a populist does is appeal to the basic desires of people, whether those desires are good for the nation or not (I’m looking your way, Tom Tancredo).

11. pegleg says:

Bush can say “nuclear” as well as anyone. But every time he does, he “miscorrects” it to nucular. It’s his keyword to indicate he’s “just one of us.”

Many politicians do a similar thing. What disturbs me more is when people, like Obama, lose a train of thought. Those are the ones I worry about.

12. Angrier and Angrier says:

Bush’s entire Presidency has been one long lost train of thought.

13. Sandy Underpants says:

The repeated standing ovations last night made me nauseous. Then watching everybody who was standing up and applauding everything Bush said, turn around and criticize him all over cable made me puke. What kind of an insincere “representative” government is this? Bush and Cheney belong in jail and the Democrats who criticize him as if he’s satan incarnate 365 days a year have no business even being present at this disgusting display, let alone giving him standing ovations!!?! Hypocrysy is one thing, but I had to invent a new word for what I saw last night and it is:

Schizodishonestreprehensophrenic.