Mano-a-womano

The great debate is underway on CNN. I may not be able to do much liveblogging because I’m trying to calm a fussing baby while I watch, so consider this an open thread.

UPDATE: Hillary says that, with regard to our Iraq policy, we need to “send several messages at once.” Well, if there’s anyone I trust to do that, it’s the Clintons! ;)

UPDATE 2: Oooooh, she played the “gravitas” card!!

UPDATE 3: Obama’s response a few minutes later to Hillary’s “day one” rhetoric was excellent, though: “it’s important to be right from day one.” Notwithstanding our differences on Iraq specifically, I think that’s exactly what Obama needs to do. When Hillary says she’ll be “ready to lead from day one,” Obama needs to invite to voters to ask, “But where will you lead?” This actually feeds into the broader Clinton character issue as well, because in actuality, the Clintons don’t really “lead” so much as follow public opinion and poll numbers. Obama needs to make the case that whereas Clinton may be the so-called “experience” candidate, Obama is not just the “change” candidate but also the “leadership” candidate.

UPDATE 4: Clinton has an unfortunate habit of sounding like the Wicked Witch of the West when she laughs.

12 Responses to “Mano-a-womano”

1. Jay Johnson says:

Yeah, but LOST is on. So, I’m probably going to go ahead and watch that.

2. Mad Max, Esquire says:

It’s pretty damn boring. I just switched over to Celebrity Apprentice.

3. Condor says:

Am I allowed to notice that Hillary’s red lipstick and light blue earings and necklace seem like a ploy to make her look extra feminine?

4. Condor says:

They just showed Stevie Wonder in the audience doing his waving head thing to Barack Obama.

5. domerdc says:

ND basketball was on. good game. better back and forth.

6. Jess says:

Don’t forget, Brendan and Becky. Exhaust fan in the kitchen and bathroom. They are baby kryptonite. Also in the next few weeks you should watch the DVD or read the book “the happiest baby on the block”… good stuff about calming babies. :)

The last few minutes (in regulation) of the Notre Dame-Providence game were very interesting. The play of the game: Providence had a chance to take the last shot and go for the win, but with the shot clock off, the Providence player brought the ball up the floor very slowly and was completely lackadaisical as the clock wound down under ten seconds. Suddenly a Notre Dame player sprang from his position guarding another player and knocked the ball away, grabbing the steal and ending Providence’s chance to take a shot for the win. If I was the Providence coach, I would have benched that player for the entire OT session. What a complete boneheaded play.

8. Joe Loy says:

Having studied Spanish under an excellent JapaneseAmerican teacher at Newington High School :}, you Do of course recall that the phrase mano a mano translates to English as, “hand to hand”, Right? (i.e., Womano, Schmomano: we talkin’ Manual labor, here. :)

9. Alasdair says:

You meant Manuel Labrador did you not, Loy the Elder ? (grin)

Isn’t mano a mano better rendered by gauntlet to gauntlet to convey the intrinsic connotation of combat involved ?

Anyway, Clinton the First practised Leadersheep since he allowed the sheeple to lead him, taking his decisions from the poll results at any given time … is there any reason why we should expect Clinton II to be any different ?

10. Joe Loy says:

Si si, Don Diego de la Glasgow, the LabraDOR it is & I’d have yez t’ know dat I’ve Been there, too, it’s where I met Manuel in the first place, long before he got elected Alcalde of all the Inuitive Highlands & Islands. / Speaking of which netherregions, you might wanna go a bit easier on the auld Leading (as it were) of the Sheep yerself, there, Squire, it’s true that Practise makes Perfect but I hear you’ve been looking a Little Gauntlet lately. (smile & a greatbig satisfying Stretch :)

11. Alasdair says:

A Stretch indeed, me bhoyo !

12. Alasdair says:

Now, if you wish to see some excellent debating skill, take a look at this less than 3 minute video here

Show me a politician in the US who can exhibit such skill with language, and you will show me a politician worthy of support …