The end of an era

I took this picture in Denver. Now I'm in Kansas City, where the plane has a stopover before continuing to Nashville. Sitting near a mother and two little kids, I realized: this is very likely the last time I'll travel when I'm not a dad. Holy cow.

8 Responses to “The end of an era”

1. kg2v says:

Enjoy it while you can. As much as I love my 2 children, flying with say, a sub 8 year old is NO fun. Flying with an INFANT is REALLY no fun, it requires the logistics of moving a small army. Once they get to around 8 YO, where they can sit still for a few hours, and if they are like my daughter, enjoy a book, traveling with them becomes fun again – you can teach them, show them things, and enjoy them

Benadryl is a wonderful thing for small children ;-)

3. Megan D says:

If I’d known you were in KC I would have waved towards MCI at ya! LOL Heck maybe you’re still there. I didn’t pay attention to the post time.

4. Alasdair says:

Brendan

Don’t let ’em rattle you ! Yes, it takes a certain fortitude to be willing to travel with infants, but, as long as said infants have been treated reasonably, they make excellent travellers … and I’m speaking with the experience of traveling to and from the UK from the Los Angeles area with *my* rugrats …

As long as you raise your kids to have your Dad’s sense of humour, they will charm the proverbials off the rest of the passengers on the plane … (grin) …

5. Becky says:

I’ve heard horror stories about bendaryl…most of them involving the kids getting hyper, screaming for the entire flight and then falling fast asleep as soon as the plane lands. Murphy’s law, in’t it?

6. alphadog says:

I can say, from last night’s experience, that Benadryl making kids sleep better is not a rule. My 8 mo went nuts after 1/2 tsp last night. Oh, and it didnt help reduce the ridiculous amount of snot he had.

7. MumZ says:

As a parent who traveled with 3 kids under 4, it takes a lot of planning,flexibility, huge amounts of patience, massive amounts of energy… and good kids. Most important of all is that there are reasonable expectations. I can remember one plane trip with a certain young lady who was fascinated that the toilets flushed with blue water. We took at least 5 trips to see that..(and make sure it was still blue!) A rather unique way to “smell the roses”!

Brendan,

Do you have a link to the updated scores for pick ’em contest?

Thanks in advance.