Soxtober pics

I’ve posted my photos of last night’s Red Sox celebration on Flickr. Some are regular digital photos, some are cell-phone pics, and some are screen grabs from my video of the end of the game. (By the way, I just posted a brighter version of the video. The original version was kinda too dark to see what was going on.)

You can also view the photos in slideshow form if you like. Here’s one of ’em:

Getting to watch the Red Sox win the World Series in a bar packed wall-to-wall with Boston fans — in the heart of enemy territory, downtown Denver, no less — more than made up for something I’ve always regretted: when the Sox won the 2004 World Series, I was watching in the rather uninteresting environment of my couch at Fischer Grad Residences, with just one other person (a classmate who wasn’t even really a Sox fan), while a bunch of my 1L classmates, who had a paper due the next day and thus had been at the library all evening, were (unbeknownst to me until the next day) gathered in the Law Lounge watching together, and then got to witness Rob from Boston, a lifelong die-hard Sox fan who never thought he’d see them actually win the Series, go completely nuts, jumping up on tables and running out into the night screaming his head off. I always regretted that I missed that. But last night was even better.

GO SAWX!!!

10 Responses to “Soxtober pics”

1. Marty West says:

My God! What are so many Red Cox fans doing in Denver?

If it were the Phillies in the series instead of the Rockies…Red Sox fans wouldn’t stand a chance of showing up to one of our bars.

What kind of world do we live in when fans from the opposition can roam the home teams streets so freely?

2. Vicki from NJ says:

Am I going to have to avoid your blog for a while?

Congrats to the Sox and all, but man what a boring series! I would have atleast like to see Colorado put up a fight, plus it would be better to win back home anyway. I say next time they should win the first three, let the rockies take the next two then crush them at home ;-)

Sure, more cities should aspire to be like Philly–eat your own and do worse to others.

there are red sox bars in philly, too.

Also, there were tons of sox fans in philly during interleague games. Marty must be living under a rock if he has missed the hordes of sox supporters travelling around mlb for the last decade.

6. Marty West says:

Where are the red sox bars in philly??

I would really like to know.

Of course I know there are red sox fans in other places than Boston…all I am saying that if it were the phillies instead of the rockies and some red sox fans showed up to a place like chicke-n-petes or any other sports bar it would not have been a pretty outcome.

Marty, you don’t understand the West. Everyone out here is from somewhere else, so fandom is wide but not very deep, and there are a ton of transplants. That explains, for example, why Big Ten football is bigger in Phoenix than ASU or the Arizona Cardinals. Denver is no different. IMO, that’s not a knock on Western cities, it’s a knock on the Midwest and Northeast for being places where everyone wants to leave.

Not to mention, Yankees and Red Sox attract bandwagon fans more than any other franchises (especially the Red Sox, because of their historic underdog role against the Evil Empire Yankees).

Either way you look at it, finding a BoSox bar just about anywhere out West doesn’t take more than asking a few people.

8. Joey says:

THis is one of the reasons why I hate the Red Sox. Since they won the world series in ’04 they have all these “new diehards.” It makes me sick!

Out of curiosity, Joey, how are you able to divine from these pictures and video which fans are “new” diehards?

Why do fans get so upset about new fans? Are you only allowed to become a fan of some team when they aren’t good?