Happy Birthday to meeee

Well, I guess that means I’m officially an adult.

Though I have a feeling the real, undeniable confirmation of my adulthood will arrive in about two months

P.S. I set this post to publish at 9:22 AM Eastern — my birth time. :)

20 Responses to “Happy Birthday to meeee”

1. Vicki from NJ says:

Happy Birthday!!! It’s so great that you’re now officially older than me again, makes me feel young. :) I hope you have a great day!

Love to you all. :)

PS – I’m broke so here’s my b-day gift to you… Go Sox!

(That will never happen again, so I hope you enjoyed it…I died a little doing it, but that’s how much I love you)

2. dcl says:

Happy birthday… Becky, make sure you tease Brendan for all of us on his Birthday…

3. Russ says:

Happy birthday.

Yup, birth of the first childis adulthood. Now you have permanent responsbilities. Everything until now didn’t have to be forever. Also, it’s the first thing / person who truly depends on you.

4. Josh Rubin says:

Happy Birthday! You’ve come a long way from that tall, skinny geek who always carried his camera everywhere, whose school set time by his watch, who somehow managed to be elected Prom King, who printed his own newspaper, and who held real elections about who would run an imaginary country populated entirely by stuffed animals.

Or not.

Happy Birthday!

5. MumZ says:

Happy Birthday B-Man!!!

6. B. Minich says:

Happy birthday!

You must be busy these days, though, because there’s a tropical storm I had to hear about through Yahoo news. How am I supposed to get my tropical storm news if you don’t report it? ;)

7. V says:

I totally forgot to wish you a happy birthday this morning. In my defense, my brain only works at a quarter capacity in the morning. It works even less when it hasn’t had coffee. Nevertheless, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

8. Trisha says:

Happy birthday!

For the record, I felt like I was an adult at 21…but I suppose that’s because I had twins at that age! lol

Enjoy your day!!

Don’t worry about it, V. You can make it up to me by “buying” me a free taco at Taco Bell this afternoon. :)

10. Bonnie says:

I still have your graduation gift, passing the bar gift, and birthday gifts waiting to make it to the mail! Can I make for that with a free taco? I feel very guilty to have been so slow to send gifts to the wonderful tall skinny geek with the camera at NHS! I’ll try again!

11. Mike says:

In a geeky reference that you should appreciate, “I find it interesting how humans place so much importance on celebrating the day of their birth…a day one cannot possibly remember…”

Happy Birthday, Brendan.

12. Kristin says:

I’m late to the party, but happy birthday! Sorry you had to spend it in such a boring fashion.

Happy birthday, now go get shitfaced while you still can. ;-)

Good point, Andrew.

15. Alasdair says:

Many happy returns …

16. Mindsurfer says:

“According to a survey in Glamour earlier this year, the average person begins to consider him/herself an adult at age 26.”

No-no-no. Twenty-six is the age when you suddenly realize you are closer to 30, than 20.

Condolences AND,

Happy Birthday!

17. HUSKERS 94 95 & 97 says:

acutally, that moment came when you said I do as your wife will always be your first responsibility and your children second.

Welcome to club!

18. Brendan says:

your wife will always be your first responsibility and your children second

I don’t think I agree with that, Huskers. Not that I want to go around choosing between my kid(s) and my wife, of course, nor do I foresee this being a debate I really need to have, but just on a philosophical level, I would say my child(ren) are my first responsibility, at least until they’re 18. My wife, after all, is a competent adult capable of supporting herself if need be. Children, on the other hand, are dependent on their parents — the younger they are, the more dependent they are. And parents make the choice to bring their children into the world. That choice carries a heavy responsibility… even heavier, I think, than the (admittedly also very heavy) one that comes with saying “I do.” One choice involves creating a sacred bond; the other involves creating a human life.

Now, of course, a big part of being a good father to your children is being a good husband to your wife, and vice versa. Also, saying my #1 responsibility is my children is different than saying I would “side with” my children against my wife — that’s a totally different question. Parents need to put up a “united front” in most everyday situations, but that’s not what I’m talking about at all. I’m talking about the much more fundamental question of which is a husband/father’s #1 “responsibility” at the most basic level. And again, just talking on a purely philosophical level here, to the extent I feel more responsible for one than the other, I think it’s gotta be the kids first, so long as they’re kids. I think Becky would agree with me. At least, I hope so, because if not, I’m probably in big trouble when she reads this comment. :)

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Hmmm, what parts are we vice-versaing:

“a big part of being a good father to your children is being a good husband to your wife”

ok that seems true, what about this though:

“a big part of being a good child to your father is being a good wife to your husband”

well i suppose being a good wife might make youa good child, reflects well on your parents, etc, but it seems kinda odd…

“a big part of being a good father to your children is being a good wife to your husband”

father and a wife, is that a gay marriage?

or maybe vice versa means this:

“a big part of being a good husband to your wife is being the father of your children”

:D

you are setting yourself up for some trouble, I fear. Listen to Nebraska.