Favorite 1960s documentary?

Becky asked me to ask y’all if you have any favorite 1960s documentaries. The reason for her query is super-secret, but she could definitely use some suggestions, so please leave ’em in comments if you’ve got ’em!

17 Responses to “Favorite 1960s documentary?”

1. Doc says:

What do you mean by “1960s documentary”? Documentaries made in the 60s? About the 60s? Or about “The Sixties”, which ran roughly from 64-75?

Are you looking for something like “Woodstock”? Or would “From the Earth to the Moon” be more in the right line? “American Graffiti” and “More American Graffiti” aren’t documentaries, but they’re about what was going on.

2. Josh Rubin says:

Ummm… I’m thinking really hard, and the only one I can think of is … well … no, I can’t think of any.

3. Becky says:

About the 1960s. I realize that covers a WHOLE LOT of material, but I love it all. :)

There was a mini-series called “The 60’s” which had julia stiles in it. It was actually pretty well done, very moving, and covered a lot of grounds.

Also, VH1 did a documentary called “The Drug Years” which, obviously, has a lot of 60’s footage.

5. Angrier and Angrier says:

Geez. Woodstock and “From the Earth to the Moon” are the only ones I can think of that standout. I watch all kinds of stuff about the 60s on the History Channel, PBS, etc, but the names don’t really jump out at me.

6. Vicki from NJ says:

D.A. Pennebaker’s Don’t Look Back is an amazing documentary from (1967 I think) and about the 60’s sort of, it’s really about Bob Dylan, but it’s really worth seeing.

7. Josh Rubin says:

Did you want a documentary about the 1960s, or one made during the 1960s? My earlier comment referred to the latter. If you want one about the ’60s, I have a few…

8. Texasyank says:

Hands down:

The Zapruder film of the Kennedy assassination.

9. Derek says:

Though I haven’t seen many, I might recommend Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie (1962), Jacques Cousteau’s Le Monde sans Soleil (1964), Tokyo Olympiad (1965), Salesman (1968), or Le Chagrin et la Pitié (1969). If you’re interested in the “cinema verite” movement, you may want to see Chronique d’un été (1961).

10. Patrick McCourt says:

How about Mondo Cane? Does anyone remember that one? Was it made during the 60’s, or was it the late 50’s?

11. Vicki from NJ says:

Becky,

I asked some people on a message board I’m on if they could help and they came up with some good stuff. You can check out their suggestions here:

Hope it helps.

12. Leanna Loomer says:

Woodstock.

“Harvest of Shame,” Edward R. Murrow’s expose of farmworkers originally broadcast on Thanksgiving Day, 1960. Aside from the Marlboro sponsorship, and the hilarious shots of Murrow smoking away while interviewing people, the documentary shows how after nearly 50 years, very little changed for farmworkers – except now instead of African-Americans and poor whites, most farmworkers are Latino immigrants.

15. Joe Loy says:

Oh wow, I made, like, a List but I can’t remember where I Put it, maaan.

;}

Bambi.

Hey, if it can be classified as a horror movie, I say it can be classified as a 1960s documentary, too. :)

LOL, nice call birthday boy!