Memory lane

While culling several old photo boxes recently, I discovered a bunch of used film rolls that hadn’t been developed. Not knowing what they were, I took them into Walgreens to get them developed. I figured there would be a mixture of interesting photos and total duds, but actually, as it turns out, those undeveloped rolls were a real gold mine of fun memories, recalled by never-before-seen pictures, most of them from 2003. For example, here I am in my headier, more confidently pro-Iraq-war days, at a "Support the Troops" rally sponsored by the USC College Republicans:

Say what you will about the war, but that was a damn nice sign I made. :) Anyway, later in 2003, here’s me and Shannon in Rockefeller Center:

And then there’s these adorable shots of Butter and Sasha when they were just little tiny kittens:

Aww! They were so little!

I also developed a much more recent roll of film, a throwaway camera that I used during Andrew and Bea’s wedding when Becky had my digital camera. Check out this wonderful picture of Andrew’s dad and Bea’s dad, all smiles just after the ceremony:

And here’s a shot of Bea’s maid of honor, Pardis, frantically scribbling last-minute notes in preparation for her speech, just minutes before the reception started:

13 Responses to “Memory lane”

1. Bea says:

Aww, the wedding pictures :) We are a little behind on that department.

2. JT says:

Way to invoke God in support of a war. I always knew you were a republican. If you could go back in time with the advantage of forsight would you still make that sign?

3. Angrier and Angrier says:

Attending a pro-Iraq War rally organized by Republicans. Yeah. Sure you were a “Democrat.” At least be honest with people (hell, you could say “Independent”).

4. V says:

Wow. Andrew looks just like his dad.

5. Joe Mama says:

Way to invoke God in support of a war.

“God Bless Free Iraq” and “God Bless Its Liberators” is invoking God in support of a war? That is totally off-base. Saying “God wants us to invade Iraq” would be invoking God in support of a war . . . saying “God bless this or that . . .” is not. Jesus, what a stretch (oh wait, I guess I just invoked God there, sorry ;-))

6. Alasdair says:

Bea – so do you identify at all with Jan in the DayByDayCartoon ? (grin)

Re: JT’s comment, what Joe Mama said. Also, the inspiration for my sign was not any particular religion (I’m hardly a religious person, as those who know me are aware), but the commonly repeated phrase “God Bless America.” I figured I’d be hearing that a lot at the rally, and I wanted to offer a slightly different variation on the theme: God Bless not just America, but Iraq. A free Iraq, specifically.

Re: Angrier’s comment, that’s just idiotic. The fact that I went to a pro-war rally organized by Republicans does NOT prove that I wasn’t a real Democrat. It proves that: a) I agreed with Republicans on the issue of the war, and b) I wasn’t so averse to Republicans that I was unwilling to associate myself with them for the limited purpose of a rally about a specific issue on which we agreed, even though we disagree about most other things. I have never attempted to deny either a) or b), so your argument is a total non-starter.

You might want to rename the jpg file of Pardis so it has the correct spelling of her name. :-)

V, what always amuses me is how everyone at my work who knows my mom (my mom works in HR) thinks I look just like her….

My dad has some high school pictures that, if I took some of my high school pictures and “aged” them a bit, you’d have trouble figuring out who is who.

9. Bea says:

I have no idea what you are trying to say, Alasdair.

10. Ernest H. says:

“Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime. ”

11. Mad Max, Esquire says:

War is not always a crime. But executing a war poorly and for the wrong reasons should be.

12. fezafou says:

whats up bea’s maid of honor, wow