Bridge collapse video

From a security camera:

11 Responses to “Bridge collapse video”

1. Sandy Underpants says:

It’s pretty clear this was the work of Al Queda. Let’s see how much covering up goes on before we find out that we spent 600 billion dollars to fight them “over there” (where they never were in the first place) and we’re still going to end up fighting them here.

Yeah cause structures never fail on their own…I suppose you are going to blame Al Qaeda for the Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse back in 1940 too right?

3. Joe Mama says:

Ah, good ol’ Galloping Gurdy . . . by far my favorite engineering case study as an undergrad.

4. Angrier and Angrier says:

From the MN Gov’s website. The Gov recognized the need to replace old bridges but did not allocate additional funds for it in the 2008 budget…

…Also, only bridges 60 years old or older are eligible.

This is a wake-up call. More money needs to be spent on fixing structurally deficient bridges, regardless of their age.

5. 4-7 says:

I would think that Al Q would have claimed responsibility by now if it was terrorism. What’s the point of terrorism if you don’t take advantage of the fear. Maximum fear impact would be letting everyone know before they go to work the next day that their bridge could be next.

6. Sandy Underpants says:

Trivia Time: How long after 9/11 did Al Queda take responsibility for the attack?

7. Angrier and Angrier says:

It’s not terrorism.

8. Sandy Underpants says:

Cheney even told us they were targeting bridges and things of this nature. Watch what they do next. Chertoff’s gut was dead on. This is the summer of the Al Qaeadas!! Allah Akbar!!! Akbar Akbar!!! Allah Allah!!! Muhamad Ali!!!

9. 4-7 says:

well, good point SU, in a sense, but I don’t think there was any risk of us not realizing it was terrorism. And I did not mean to speak specifically Al Q. Let’s be honest, if you did something that could be terror, but might not be, wouldn’t you want your spectator victims to quickly know which ? like poisoning water supply or causing a bridge collapse ?

Anyway, I wanted to know from any physics smart people whether you are more likely to survive falling in a car 60 feet with the bridge than falling without the bridge ? Like people talk about how miraculous it was that none of the schoolchildren were seriously injured. Well, I figure a schoolbus falling 60 feet into the water, now that’s miraculous to survive. But if the bus effectively rode the falling platform down and then absorbed much of the shock of the hit between the road and the tires, then I guess that is less miraculous, more lucky. Not that I’m not a miracles person, I am. Just curious.

10. Guido Gotti says:

Sandy (Dirty)Underpants!
    Come on,, get real, get with the program. You are SO frickin off base you obviously don’t know what yhou are talking about.
    You sound like Chicken Little? I hope you are hiding under your bed until those big bad gov’t people tell you it wasn’t AQ that did it! You Moron!