Bonds update: Giants’ homestand ends today

Marlins pitcher Dontrelle Willis challenged Barry Bonds yesterday, throwing “fastball after fastball,” and Willis won the duel: Bonds failed to hit a home run, striking out once and popping out twice. So he’s stuck at 754 home runs, one short of Hank Aaron’s record, heading into today’s 4:30 PM EDT game against Florida, which is the last game of his homestand. The Giants hit the road tomorrow for a three-game series at Dodger Stadium, followed by a three-game series at the Padres.

Meanwhile, as the inevitable historic homer approaches, ESPN’s Gene Wojciechowski asks:

What will Barry Bonds tell his three children if one day their curiosity overwhelms their loyalty and they ask, “Daddy, did you cheat?”

What will he say to the revered Henry Aaron, whose 33-year home run record is about to fall, if Hammering Hank asks, “Tell an old man the truth: Did you beat me fair and square?”

And what will Bonds tell himself when career home run No. 756 arrives? Will he ask if the means justified the end?

8 Responses to “Bonds update: Giants’ homestand ends today”

1. marty west says:

Willis is a monster. He throws nothing but gas. He was basically daring Bonds to try and hit him.

Did anyone see when Shane Victorino TRUCKED the Pirates catcher in the Phillies win last night? It was awesome.

2. Mad Max, Esquire says:

Willis got a little wild at the end there. When he walked Bonds during his third at bat, I was thinking Willis was going to actually hit him or lose it with a wild pitch.

3. Anonymooose says:

Gene Wojciechowski is a moron. HE writes some of the dumbest columns. Of course Bonds is going to say he didn’t cheat.

4. Mad Max, Esquire says:

I agree with Anonymooose. I’m sure at some level Bonds has totally rationalized this to himself or he wouldn’t have done it. His rationale is probably along the lines of “white guys like McGwire can do it, so can I. I’m not going to let whitey hold me down” or some bullshit like that.

5. Condor says:

“Gene Wojciechowski is a moron. HE writes some of the dumbest columns.”

Hold it right there. Gene Wojciechowski is no moron. It’s just that espn has him writing about baseball when his real passion and area of expertise is soccer. (Warning: the following column is the stupidest piece of writing I have read in my entire life that wasn’t about politics. Please proceed cautiously.)

6. marty west says:

Max –

Wouldn’t it have been awesome if he beaned Bonds right between the shoulder blades? San Fran would have gone crazy.

7. Sandy Underpants says:

No, it would’ve been awesome if he nailed him right between the eyes from the dugout during warm-ups, and then whacked him in his shriveled up nards with a baseball bat while he lay there unconscious.

8. Anonymooose says:

Holy SHIT that made me laugh so hard I started choking.