Cool. A completely idiotic new law

What a novel concept. I’d never imagine that the Tennessee General Assembly, in its infinite corruption wisdom, could come up with something like this.

A sweet new law requiring retail stores to actually check everyone’s ID to purchase beer. What a great way to accomplish almost nothing and inconvenience us a bit more. Way to go Nashville!

I get it. You want to make it harder for under-21s to get beer. But, do you really get there by making Granny and Gramps flash their drivers license and AARP cards? This is nothing more than a symbolic absurdity that makes the state look foolish.

Maybe I should actually invest in making that Kegerator I’ve always thought about. That way, I can get by for at least a week at a time without running out to the store for more brewdogs.

7 Responses to “Cool. A completely idiotic new law”

1. LaRev says:

Speaking of Tennessee and environs, have you heard of the Zag-Vol matchup next season?

What shirt are you going to wear?

I’ll be rooting for Gonzaga, of course. But considering my wife may be giving birth right around then, I may not be paying much attention to the game. :)

3. Jeff says:

This reminds me of the time, about ten years ago, that I was buying a beer for my dad and I at a Sacramento Kings game. The vendor asked to see my ID (at the time, I was nearly 40), and after I said, “you’re kidding, right?” he said “I’ve got to see an ID if you’re buying two beers.” My dad was standing right there, so I said “it’s for my dad, and this is him – still need to see it?” “Yep, that’s the rule – gotta see one of your IDs.” So my dad – nearly 70 at the time – showed him his ID.

We enjoyed that one for a good long time.

4. mr lawson says:

actually it is a great idea if you look at it from a freakonomics point of view. The law probably is NOT to discourage underage drink directly, but rather to relieve any stress from asking from the cashier. Yes it will be an annoyance to us older people, however, the under 21 crowd know they too WILL be asked. My personal opinion is that we should not have any minimum age, but that is another post:-)
    On a completely different note, welcome to Knoxville! If you and your wife want to know about K-towns nitelife, just email me and I’ll tell ya where the hotspots are:-)

Thanks for the welcome, Mr. Lawson! However, it should be noted that this post was actually written by Jay, who is one of my guestbloggers and who has been an East Tennessee resident for quite a while. :)

6. Jay Johnson says:

Yeah, I went to law school here. I saw all of the nightlife I’d ever really care to see. I spent way too many evenings hanging out at Toddy’s for my own good.

7. hammer says: