Game 5

“I know it’s not Game 7, but it sure feels like do-or-die tonight,” writes Bfloblog’s Kevin on the open thread for Game 5 of the Sabres-Rangers series, which is tied at 2-2, with Buffalo needing the win tonight at HSBC Arena to hold onto home-ice advantage.

I won’t be able to watch the game, thanks to ConCrimPro cramming. But I hope the Sabres will recognize the exigent circumstances and take full advantage of all goal-scoring opportunities that are in plain view, as well as those that require some coersion. Nobody deserves a good stop-and-frisk(-and-punch) more than Sean Avery. Meanwhile, hopefully Ryan Miller will be practicing the exclusionary rule on the other end of the ice, making sure all Rangers shots on goal are inadmissible. (And hopefully someone will remind me I have the right to remain silent, and any further bad jokes I make can and will be used against me in the court of public opinion.)

Anyway… LET’S GO, BUFF-A-LO! Box score here.

UPDATE: Okay, so I lied. :) I’m watching the game after all (while studying…sorta), and what a game it’s been. After 56 minutes and 43 seconds of scoreless hockey, the Rangers scored what looked like it would be the winning goal with 3:17 to go. “Good night, folks. Good season,” wrote Seth at Bfloblog as the clock ticked down toward zero. Then, amazingly, with 7.7 seconds left, perennial postseason hero Chris Drury scored to tie the game and send it to overtime. Incredible!

Here’s Rick Jeanneret’s call:

source file

UPDATE 2: Sabres win!! Maxim Afinogenov, who was a healthy scratch in Game 4 because of shaky play in the first three games, scored the game-winner. WOOOOOHOOOOO!!! Here, again, is Jeanneret’s call:

source file

UPDATE 3:

‘Nuff said.

13 Responses to “Game 5”

1. Rebecca Loy says:

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

2. Invernessie says:

Yes! A little breathing room. I was too nervous to watch so I had to rely on the internet for updates.

Go Sabres!

3. Chris says:

Great work, Brendan. Thanks.

Bandwagoner.

5. […] until later this weekend as it’s time to mindlessly celebrate tonight. My friend Brendan has the audio of the goals up already. Game One in Ottawa last year, Game Five against the Rangers tonight. Chris Drury is The Balls. […]

6. ScottyK says:

I was gonna go checkin’ for RJ’s calls of the two Bflo goals
    later tomorrow…but here they are not a few hours after the
    game! Nice work!!! I still can’t believe we won…but just
    goes to show that you should never doubt Drury!!

I could give a crap about the Buffalo Chips (er, I mean, Sabres), but mad props to their radio guy, I like his style.

8. Mike's brother Matt says:

WoooHooo!!! I lost power right as the Ranger’s goal was being reviewed, and from the call figured it was in and the Sabres were dead. Blackouts suck during hockey.

9. Un-Freakin-Believable. Great Call Rick.

10. MumZ says:

RJ’s commentary, and his trademark “Scoooorrre” – one of the precious memories of Buffalo. Thanks for putting this up, B-Man!

11. Ben says:

10 AM the next morning and I still have goose bumps.

12. Rebecca Loy says:

I was saying to Brendan that I couldn’t imagine the Sabres sending all those fans home (the near 19,000 inside HSBC and the 10000 at the street party) without them scoring a single goal. And then they turned around and won the game and I was just filled with the indescribeable euphoria that only Sabres fans truly understand! It was one of those fabulous emotional rollercoasters where you see the whole season plunging away into the nebulous pit of despair only to have it lifted, resurrected from the depths by a shining moment so luminous that for a moment all you can do is scream like a lunatic and frighten your neighbors. Oh, how wonderfully gut wrenching sports can be.

13. dan says:

I’ve been smiling since Max’s goal on Friday. Was one of the 10,000 at the street party. Thanks for letting us relive the moment. Go Sabres!!!!