Bush takes action on Darfur

Specifically, new sanctions against Sudan:

President Bush imposed sanctions Tuesday against Sudan in reaction to the “genocide” in Darfur, and has ordered actions against 31 companies and three people — preventing them from doing business in or with U.S. companies.

The three Sudanese people affected include two high-ranking government officials and a rebel leader, according to the U.S. Treasury Department. They were targeted for their roles in fomenting violence and human rights abuses in Darfur, the agency said.

“My administration has called these actions by their rightful name, genocide. The world has a responsibility to help put an end to it,” Bush said.

Bush said he had ordered Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to write up a draft resolution that will be presented to the U.N. Security Council.

14 Responses to “Bush takes action on Darfur”

1. Patrick says:

Sanctions? SANCTIONS?? For GENOCIDE????

This proves why Darfur is just another one of the world’s human rights failures. If this kind of brutality were taking place in a European country, there would be an invasion. We justify only using sanctions by telling ourselves that Africans are “primitive” and naturally inclined to political upheaval and violence. Hence, we use sanctions to fight the butchering of innocent men, women, and children. This makes me sick.

2. Sean says:

Why is genocide in quotes?

3. Angrier and Angrier says:

“If this kind of brutality were taking place in a European country, there would be an invasion.”

Bosnia ring a bell? We didn’t invade.

4. Brendan says:

I believe it’s in quotes to indicate, in the lede, that Bush said the word — i.e., that the characterization is our government’s, not merely the reporter’s. I have sometimes objected to such things in other contexts (like referring to 9/11 as an act of “terrorism”), but here I have no problem with it. I think the intent is to report the newsworthy fact that the president said that word, not cast doubt on his characterization and thus effectively editorialize through the use of “scare quotes.”

What took him so long?

Doesn’t he realize there is oil in the Sudan????

6. Angrier and Angrier says:

I’m glad something is being done, even if it has taken too long to happen.

7. anon says:

too little too late

8. Angrier and Angrier says:

Bush will get his photo-op signing the document, so in his mind he will have solved the problem. Just like his photo-op in New Orleans solved that problem and his photo-op at the border solved that problem.

9. Casey says:

It’s funny. That line — “For too long the people of Darfur have suffered at the hands of a government that is complicit in the bombing, murder and rape of innocent civilians.” — that could easily have been referring to the US government, since we seem to have been supplying these people (or allowing our businesses to supply them, to be fair).

WTF happened to this country that we’re now patting ourselves on the back over not fomenting genocide? Is it just me, or does it seem like maybe there’s some sort of higher goals we might set for ourselves? Maybe I’m just being naive and idealistic or something…

By no means am I a fan of Bush or even think that he has handled this issue appropriately, but it is a huge step to say publicly that something is “genocide.” Using that word has implications in international law and brings with it an obligation to act. It is more that Clinton ever did during the genocide in Rwanda, and in that way I am glad Bush made this statement. I certainly do not share the sentiment of anon above (too little too late) as I say better late than never.

11. Joe Mama says:

Darfur. A civil war even the anti-war crowd can embrace (at least until it becomes unpopular, in which case they were “misled”).

12. Brenda says:

I cant believe he is doing this! We shuld have sent in more troops or something. this will not solve the problem,I just feel sick.
    Download Google earth and search the Darfur area it is enlightening. I have talked more about it on my myspace.
    (gretch19)
    I wont ramble on here in Brendon’s comment section, but makes me sick that more is not being done by our president and people of this country

We shuld have sent in more troops or something

Well we haven’t sent in any troops as far as i can recall, but even if we wanted to which troops exactly should we send? we have to use reservists and national gaurd in Iraq because of how stretched thin we are. At this point we’d have to send the boy scouts into Darfur.

Right, like you wouldn’t be second-guessing everything the moment the first soldier died…