Russell’s number 1, Quinn not in top 10

With the first pick in the 2007 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders chose LSU quarterback JaMarcus Russell. Meanwhile Notre Dame QB Brady Quinn, predicted by most draft experts to go in the top 10, is still waiting, as the Houston Texans picked Louisville DT Amobi Okoye with the 10th pick. Okoye, at 19, becomes the youngest player ever drafted by the NFL. The big question of the day, and the one the analysts on ESPN are still talking about, is how far Quinn will drop.

The top 10 picks:

1	Oakland		JaMarcus Russell - QB
2	Detroit		Calvin Johnson - WR
3	Cleveland		Joe Thomas - OT
4	Tampa Bay	Gaines Adams - DE
5	Arizona		Levi Brown - OT
6	Washington	Laron Landry - S
7	Minnesota	Adrian Peterson - RB
8	Atlanta		Jamaal Anderson - DE
9	Miami		Ted Ginn Jr. - WR
10	Houston		Amobi Okoye - DT

Full coverage here.

UPDATE BY BRENDAN: Quinn’s Aaron Rodgers-esque drop finally ended at the #22 spot, when the Cleveland Browns — who many thought would take Quinn with the #3 overall pick — drafted him after all when given a second chance.

P.S. Quinn’s Cleveland Browns will face Matt Leinart’s Arizona Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium on December 2. He’ll also get a rematch with JaMarcus Russell when Cleveland visits Oakland on September 23 — assuming Quinn and Russell are starting by then, that is. Long-term, Quinn also has the opportunity to start a nice interstate, interdivisional rivalry with Carson Palmer and the Cincinnati Bengals. Those teams play this year on September 16 and December 23.

53 Responses to “Russell’s number 1, Quinn not in top 10”

1. Patrick Cooper says:

He’s gonna drop to at least 17th. His drop will exceed Matt Leinert’s

2. Dan Port says:

11 picks done, Quinn still on the board. Buffalo should admit that JP Losman is about as good a QB as JP Morgan, and draft Quinn at 12. I do appreciate the repeated shots of the blonde next to him, though.

Patrick, Leinart was the 10th pick last year, his drop has allready exceeded Matt Leinert’s.

4. Patrick Cooper says:

I thought he was picked 11th, my bad. But I had that thought earlier in the day.

5. BK says:

The Fins blew #9 on a return man. They better hope Ginn turns into Hester, like now.

6. B. Minich says:

It seems to me that the most NFL ready QBs always seem to drop, since they tend not to be “sexy” picks.

Out of this year’s QB crop, I would have taken Quinn or Troy Smith. I know he did really bad in the national title game, but when he’s good, he looks like a GREAT fit in the NFL. GMs tend to over-analyze what they are doing.

7. Mel Kiper, Jr. says:

Troy Smith? Bahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahaahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Or it could be that Quinn is pretty much overrated compared to QB’s like Russell…

Seriously, Troy Smith?

I think in order to be overrated, you have to actually be drafted into the NFL…which as of yet has not happened

Is that blonde girl his girlfriend? I thought they broke up… guess I am way behind on the gossip.

One thing is for sure, Brady is a class act. He is so calm. I am really impressed.

13. Patrick Cooper says:

Didn’t Quinn ask for a private room so he wouldn’t have to face the media?

14. C says:

Goodell offered it.

Um… no. They gave him one. He didn’t ask for it. And he just gave another interview.

16. Patrick says:

I can’t wait to see JaMarcus Russell flop in Oakland.

17. Russ says:

Going to KC would be great for Quinn – good program, learn for a year under Green. It’s much better than being taken by Miami and going into that mess.

18. Dan Port says:

Quinn to KC at 23, barring a trade. His agent is probably pissed.

yeah, lets worry about how pissed his agent is

Does anyone know who else from ND is in the draft?

Besides Brady….

Victor Abiamiri, Ryan Harris, Derek Landri, Rhema McKnight, Dan Santucci and Darius Walker….that might not be all of them

That is so annoying that Cleveland did that

23. Eileen says:

Brady just got picked by Cleveland on Round 22. A happy day for the Cleveland Browns!

24. Drive-By Media says:

Cleveland is having a hell of a draft. Dallas, as usual, trades down for more picks.

25. Patrick Cooper says:

I wonder what the monetary difference is between being drafted 22nd instead of the top five or ten

26. yea says:

Quinn got drafted higher than Dan Marino and Tom Brady, nice!

27. B. Minich says:

Should be interesting to see what Quinn does in Cleveland.

YES, Troy Smith. I think he’s going to be a great NFL QB. He’s got the game management skills, he can throw and run, and he’s got the maturity. I seriously think he’ll do better than most high selected QBs, although I don’t expect that this year.

28. Wobbly H says:

Talk about having your cake and eating it, too. for the Steamers. Although Brady has to be disappointed, he does get to play for his hometown team with his blindside protected by a franchise tackle.

29. Drive-By Media says:

What makes this pick even better for Cleveland is the relative lack of QB talent in the next class.

30. Matt says:

NFL Network says the difference in guaranteed money between Thomas at 3 and Quinn at 22 will be around $25 million.

31. yea says:

quinn should hold out for 10-15 money. cleveland invested a ton to get him and would be screwed if they didnt sign him. quinn taking another shot at the draft next year might not be a bad idea with the QB talent being so thin. im sure hed be able to get some sort of insurance, since there is little chance he would drop too far in the second round next year.

32. Wobbly H says:

I’m sure his agent will try to have his pay more situated to the top 10, but could Cleveland even do that? They do need to sign Joe Thomas, too. I’d rather not see it play out that way.

33. Matt says:

Quinn needs to sign his contract and be happy the Browns jumped up to save him from falling to the second round. Play well, and the money will come. When 21 teams pass on you, you don’t have much leverage.

34. Sandy Underpants says:

Bob Davie said a bunch of the ND players were guaranteed first round draft picks during the SC game. I’ll have to watch that back to see who he was talking about.

35. Patrick says:

I think Bob Davie has sufficiently proven over the years that he’s about as sharp as a marble.

36. yea says:

Matt, he has plenty of leverage when the Browns traded a probable top 10, possible top 5 pick to get him. BQ has the bargaining power now, once he signed he wont have any leverage again for a while.

Matt–
    Falling to the second round? So they traded up out of altruism? They knew he would have been taken by either KC or Baltimore, two teams with QB needs (esp. Baltimore).
    I agree he should not hold out, but don’t be ridiculous. Teams 10-21 had no real QB need–check the picks, mainly defensive players.

Sandy,

Davie said that in the context of suggesting Weis had a “stocked cupboard.” If you think he was saying that to boost ND, you misunderstand his relationship w/ND. That line about “5 1st rounders” has frequently been used by Weis haters.

39. USC 1L says:

Quinn has no leverage. If he sits out the year, do you think anyone is going to draft him in the 1st round next year?

He’ll still get paid well be cause QBs always do, but he has no leverage.

40. Chris says:

According to John “Turtle” Clayton, Quinn lost $33 mil in contract money and $18 mil in gurantees.

Probably based on Vince Young’s $48 mil deal as last year’s #3.

41. Sandy Underpants says:

Brady didn’t lose any money, because he didn’t have any to begin with.

Blowhard Bob Davie’s relationship with ND is that he boosts them non-stop at every opportunity while broadcasting, and If I worked for them for about a decade, I probably would as well. I don’t think ND had a stocked cupboard OR 5 first rounders. In fact they just barely had one first rounder.

Well, it just make me happy that USC didn’t have a first round pick.

Yeah, it’s just terrible that almost all of USC’s talent from its Rose Bowl championship team is coming back. Absolutely awful. If only the Trojans could be more like Notre Dame, losing most of the big-name talent from its Sugar Bowl runner-up team to the NFL. Woe is us!

44. NDFan says:

Sandy, clearly we have not seen any of the Davie broadcasts. He may boost the school or tradition from time to time, but never the team itself or the current coach.

Sandy, I can understand why an outsider would consider Davie an ND booster. He often will praise them generally, but his particular slant of late has been to criticize Weis. That was the context of his statement about 5 first rounders that you cite above (said during the USC game this year). He cited these unnamed 5 players in praise of what Willingham did. While WIllingham was the former ND coach, a good rule of thumb is that someone who is praising what Ty did in 2006 or 2007 is implicitly criticizing ND today.

Davie was quoted after the bowl season as saying Weis should be on thin ice this year b/c he has had talent and not won the big one. I do not see the pro-ND bias here at all.

If you are using his statement as representative of ND fans’ belief about how the draft would go, it is not at all representative (If you are just being a childish ND troll, please list the Trojans’ first rounders this draft.)

*ANTI-ND troll, that is

In other news, Randy Moss heads to New England while Josh McCown and Mike Williams get the boot from the Lions to go play for Lane Kiffin. Meanwhile, Carolina has decided to become USC East, drafting Ryan Kalil and Steve Smith to go along with current Trojans Keyshawn Johnson and Keary Colbert.

Well, it just make me happy that USC didn’t have a first round pick.

Of course the average number of the four USC picks is better than the average number of the four Notre Dame picks, and as Brendan has pointed out, most of USC’s talent is returning next year.

But I like ND, I really do! Go Irish!

50. I almost felt bad for Bray Quinn but then I thought back to all of the times in the last two weeks mike and mike in the morning had him on there show….plus his campaigning for the #1 spot instead of just saying that he would be happy to go anywhere

in the end, i was glad the roger goodell let him use his private room to get away from the camera and i agree that he showed a ton of class and poise throughout the whole ordeal

mike williams has ruined it for big usc wr’s so i wonder what patrick turner will do in two years to avoid the curse

i am sure that jarrett hates keyshawn johnson and know he has to be his teammate for at least one season

but keyshawns honesty about his alma maters players was very refreshing as we all know that michael irvin would have been pushing players from the u like a mad man….and that school still ends up with two 1st round draft picks!

adam carriker to st louis was nice to see. nebraska back in the 1st round

But I like ND, I really do! Go Irish!

Heh. I expected someone to trot out the old “you’re not a real ND fan” canard. Need I point out the obvious? The only time I’m ever anti-ND is in the context of ‘SC-ND rivalry. And what happened here? Some Domer took a shot at ‘SC, so I shot back. Thus, my comment makes perfect sense and is completely consistent with everything I’ve ever said about my loyalties.

52. Sandy Underpants says:

Anonymous, you’re wrong. Davie was praising the talent on the Notre Dame team, not as a criticism of Weis, but as an argument as to how USC would be facing apt challengers that night. Ty was not mentioned ever, nor would he even be relevent to the conversation as the discussion was USC vs. Notre Dame 2006.

The Trojans had three players coming out and one was a center. There’s no comparison. ND lost everyone that doesn’t suck (that bad).

As for Davie criticizing Weis, maybe he wants to fancy himself a trend-setter, as the 0-9 start for ND next season will bring an onslaught of criticism in the direction of “the genius”.