Hurin, Hobbit and Spidey

The Children of Hurin, a posthumous J.R.R. Tolkien novel “edited” by his son Christopher, goes on sale today. I’m anxious to read it, but I think I’ll wait until after graduation and probably after the bar exam (unlike Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, which I’ll be reading the day it comes out, bar-exam prep be damned). It’ll be a post-exam treat. Well, maybe not such a treat, depending on whom you believe. But I’m sure I’ll enjoy it. I mean, I liked The Silmarillion! ;)

In other Tolkien-related news, Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Spider-Man director Sam Raimi “is seriously interested in directing The Hobbit,” depending on how the whole Peter Jackson vs. New Line battle plays out. That could seriously disrupt plans for Spider-Man 4, with Kirsten Dunst saying she wouldn’t want to make a Spidey movie with anyone other than Raimi.

Speaking of Spidey, I haven’t previously linked to the extremely spoileriffic final Spider-Man 3 trailer, but there you go. (Hat tip: Andrew Hiller.) As noted in my sidebar at left, the movie debuts in 17 days, on May 4 — the first of a trio of highly anticipated “three-quels” debuting next month (Shrek the Third on May 18, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End on May 25). I can’t wait!

6 Responses to “Hurin, Hobbit and Spidey”

1. 3L No. 108 says:

Sorry for the OT comment but the Observer hit piece is here:

Damn Jimmy Paulino to hell for undermining the credibility of our legitimate grievances with his verbal diarrhea about all manner of irrelevant trivialities.

Don’t forget the Bourne Ultimatum. (sp?)

It is a summer of trios

well, maybe not next month…but this summer at least

also i forgot ocean’s 13

I’m surprised you haven’t blogged about the front page observer article today about law school rankings and the dean. interesting read.

5. 4-7 says:

just kinda at least squint your eyes a bit as you watch the trailer and don’t watch it in slow mo for goodness sake or you will be spoiled.

Then again, since Spidey is like opening in Japan this week, we might expect that if our ears are too open we might hear some spoilers too.

I’m kinda becoming ambivalent about spoilers. To read is one thing, but to see – I mean, pay me now, pay me later. I think sooner or later the mind will piece the cloth together as a seamless whole.

6. 4-7 says:

and Silmarillion rocks.

Buy yourself Letters from Father Christmas (the most recent red illustrated version) this holiday season. Not only are Tolkien’s drawings awesome, while quaint, the stories are very funny and you can imagine how kids would alight at them. Polar Bear !