A brief list of things that make me happy

• Red Sox 11, Yankees 4.
• The Yanks’ 7-game losing streak.
• Mariano Rivera’s 12.15 ERA.
• The American League East standings. Look who’s in first… and who’s in last.
• Imagining how the back pages of the New York papers will look in the morning.

P.S. The above things do not make Texasyank happy.

15 Responses to “A brief list of things that make me happy”

1. Dan Port says:

On the subject of baseball, really, nothing against your fantasy baseball commissioner, but I implore you to look over the league and push for a change from weekly to daily roster moves.

If rosters are locked every Monday, you can’t substitute for players whose teams have days off, or put in a pitcher for his start, or put in a healthy player in case one gets injured mid-week. It makes no sense, particularly since the rosters are so huge.

I know I’m coming off as really whiny about this, but if we proceed as is, it will be a nightmare. I live and breathe this stuff, and this is the only thing I absolutely do not want taking place. I’m even willing to concede such ridiculous weekly statistics as Complete Games (prediction: 0-0 almost every week) and Singles (prediction: Wes Helms becomes more valuable in fantasy baseball than to his actual team).

Seriously, this needs to dealt with before the league starts on Monday. Oh, and I’m definitely not the only one who sees trouble on the horizon with this.

2. texasyank says:

Since I’m about to jump off a bridge, I couldn’t care less.

3. NDLauren says:

I’m still basking in the glory of lucking into the first pick in the fantasy draft :-) However, I also tend to agree; if we can’t make roster moves even for players who aren’t playing that day, it does seem almost pointless even to have a bench.

4. Diane says:

Nor do they make Diane happy :(

Let me just say that while Mariano is clearly no longer the Mo of old, he had a terrible April last year and turned it around, and as I keep telling people – the Red Sox have been consistently hitting him for the past three years. So it didn’t really surprise me to see them continue to do so.

5. marty west says:

NDLauren….A Rod blows. Let’s see how happy you are when he realizes that he is A Rod and hits a brick wall.

Brendan….Please do what Dan is asking for. It would make the league a million times better.

6. Joe Mama says:

A Rod blows? A Rod is doing many things so far this season, but blowing certainly isn’t one of them. C’mon.

Guys, I am NOT going to take over the fantasy league or order Jay around. I asked him to run it because I didn’t want to take the time to run it, and don’t understand how it works anyway, so I’m hardly in a position to complain now about the choices he’s making. With regard to daily vs. weekly roster moves, one of the reasons some people (myself included) favored the H2H format was precisely because the week-by-week nature of it cuts down on the amount of time that must be devoted to this leisure activity when there are other things going on (like, I don’t know, studying for the bar perhaps). I’m not sure you’re being entirely fair in suggesting, as it seems like you are, that there’s simply no justification for keeping things the way they are, no reason to do it that way, and it’s obviously a disaster. If that were the case, why would Yahoo allow the option? Look, we’re all governed by the same rules, so I don’t see what the big freakin deal is. But if you want to be upset about it, fine. I, however, am not going to peremptorily intervene and undermine Jay’s authority after he was kind enough to volunteer to do what I didn’t want to take the time to do, namely run the league.

8. ScottF says:

Way back on the first post there was concern from several commenters about the length and day-to-day nature of Major League Baseball translating to a Fantasy League game. (“…all 168 trillion games.” ring a bell Marty?) If it took a weekly deadline to encourage some people to join up then it’s not fair to change it now.

It would be nice if we could plan our roster changes for the entire week on/before Sunday. We could have a weekly deadline and still plan for player off-days but Yahoo does not seem to support this.

Like Brendan said, “we’re all governed by the same rules.” In a way it adds to the strategy. Which pitchers will get two starts in the week? Which players will be off Monday AND Thursday so I can bench them? There might even be a way to look at your opponent’s roster limitations to see if you can use that in planning an advantage.

I look at this league as a chance to compete with my cyber-friends here on Brendan’s blog. I’m in several other leagues in case this one isn’t enough fun. If you’ve GOT to have daily deadlines try to catch another league at the last minute today. Yahoo allows participation in up to four leagues per ID. If there’s four of you then get together and pick a league with four slots left. They’ll thank you for completing their league at the deadline and you’ll still get to compete with each other. You can even export your draft list to a new league from this one.

9. Dan Port says:

The yahoo option for weekly substitutions is for teams with shallower benches or no bench spots at all, not the plethora of backup players now occupying each team in the irishtrojan league. I appreciate that Brendan doesn’t have time to devote to the league, but I really see a lot of problems with this setup and they’ll come out during the season. That’s why I’d rather nip them in the bud.

That said, I’m not a sourpuss (okay, maybe I am, but still) and I’ll make the best of it and have fun with things. I can tell from some of the roster moves that this should be a pretty sharp league (big ups to teams picking up Sosa, Wolf, Hirsh and the other players I had on my watch list!), so I’m thrilled for the competition.

Oh, and the fall of the evil empire has been widely exaggerated, especially when they have the best pitching prospect in professional baseball. Though I’m almost as excited about that as I am about the first place Milwaukee Brewers!

Not in the league so i don’t have a horse in the race, but the idea between weekly roster changes rather than daily, from what it was explaiend to begin with is that not everyone has the time/knowledge to devote to daily changes. It may lead to problems if a player is having an off day or two, but thats going to be true for everyone.

11. Dan Port says:

There are more problems than players getting days off: putting players in and out of DL spots, pitchers getting their starts, injuries mid-week, catchers getting days off, etc.

As for the time commitment, even with daily transactions you can still set your roster for the whole week, just by clicking through the different days. Last season my dad was going to Aruba for two weeks and set his entire roster in one Sunday night, in about 10 minutes, clicking through the days.

12. Vicki from NJ says:

Brendan, you’ve certainly outdone yourself this time… After being away from my computer all night, I log on and the FIRST site I come to is yours… and what do I have to greet me? This horrible, horrible list of yours. I hope your proud of yourself, I now have to pluck out my eyes! :)

*ps – I’m not worried… if we had a bet like the old days, I’d still win in the end… ;)

13. Diane says:

WOO-HOO! Yanks win! FINALLY!

And just to back up my previous statement, here’s a stat that one of the announcers gave – since the ’04 All-Star break, Mariano’s ERA is 4.65 against Boston and 1.80 against all other teams.
    I knew that they were hitting him pretty well, but wow.

14. Kyle says:

I live in NY now, so if you ever want me to take a picture of the back of a NY paper and e-mail it to you for your laugter and enjoyment, please let me know.