Dammit

Is there anything that could possibly make USC’s choke job against North Carolina last night more painful? How about UCLA going to the Final Four less than 24 hours later? Yup, that did the trick.

Well, on the bright side, now there’s a chance the Pac-10 will send two teams to the Final Four. Becky and I will be rooting for that outcome tomorrow at the Edward Jones Dome when we watch Oregon take on Florida. Go Ducks!

19 Responses to “Dammit”

You really think USC choked? I guess if you define the term “choke” to mean any time you blow a double-digit lead, but UNC earned that victory. It’s not like we threw away the game with bad turnovers and missed layups; UNC stormed back making incredible put-back shots and taking advantage of USC’s relatively short bench. In a year or two, we will be better equipped to match up with teams like that. For now, we’re incredibly blessed to have gotten as far as we did.

2. BK says:

At least Tim Floyd took the loss well.

3. Wobbly H says:

Thank God Brenners rejected my bracket from the competition. Otherwise I’d be ranked somewhere in between his cats and dog

Choke indeed.

5. PenguinSix says:

Irish hockey are choking now too…

Um i’d saying going without a basket for 6.5 minutes counts as choking yes

7. NDLauren says:

Indeed on the hockey, although they did score to make it 2-1. MSU is on a power play though now, with an apparent bogus call, which makes it difficult for ND to pull Brown from the net. A good season looks like it’s going to end in an unfortunate loss. If only they hadn’t had to play 2OT last night, but the UA-Huntsville goaltender was pretty solid.

8. NDLauren says:

And it’s a final on the Irish hockey, 2-1, MSU. A very disappointing end to a great season.

9. PenguinSix says:

MSU got two power play goals and then just played stifling defense the whole night. ND was (when they actually took a shot) having to long range it with no hope of a rebound.

Was an intersting last five minutes after the goal, with ND pulling the keeper for a bit, but alas, it is not to be.

But hope for next year…we’ve got some great freshman and a good coach.

10. dcl says:

well, at least I have UCLA in my final four… too bad I had them being beaten by Butler…

11. Pave Doulin says:

Roger that, Penguin. It’s an exciting time for ND hockey.

Brendan,
    Why are you even going to the game? I hear a St. Louis area middle school is having a spelling bee contest in which an “underdog” 6th grader is in the finals against a bunch of 8th graders.

13. PenguinSix says:

And I really hate MSU. The last game I attended as a student I was given the opportunity to compete for the free dinner at Red Lobster shootout between periods. I went out to mid-ice and they announced ‘This is (PenguinSixs) last game as an ND Student.” The MSU fans started booing me (I have to say that while I was at ND, I had a bit of a reputation through the CCHA as being the ‘chief punk’ of the rabble rousing student section) so I turned, looked up at them, and flipped them the bird from center ice. They didn’t like that.

I hate MSU.

14. Pave Doulin says:

I missed two shots into an open net at the JACC during intermission of a ND-MSU game. That was back in the days when MSU would come spank us regularly, along with most of the other schools in the CCHA.

15. Joe Loy says:

leanna says:
    so, who do the uconn women play next? lsu? lsu was up 20 to 10 in the first half, anyway. is that winner uconn’s the next match-up?
    just wondering.
    leanna

16. AO says:

How was SC’s loss a choke job? We were noticeably undermanned. A choke job is when you inexplicably fail to execute. We had a clear reason for the lack of execution, our one competent big man had 4 fouls with plenty of time left in the game. That to me is not choking.

Yes, mom, it’s UConn vs. LSU in the Elite Eight on Monday.

AO and Andrew, I didn’t actually get to watch the USC-UNC game on TV, so I defer to your more informed analysis. I was using the term “choke” loosely, as it is generally at least somewhat applicable when a team blows a 16-point lead in the second half. However, I certainly don’t deny that USC had a great season, nor that North Carolina was the more talented team and it was a result of superior execution and game-planning that we built such a lead in the first place. The Trojans have nothing to be ashamed of. It’s just frustrating to see a team cough up such a big lead… it’s more frustration talking than anything else.

Not one single basket for over 5 minutes, that is the definition of a choke job.

19. Melissa says: