Dear Joe Lunardi, I hate you. Sincerely, Brendan Loy

Okay, Notre Dame vs. Gonzaga, I could deal with. But this…

Ugh.

On the bright side, it’s in the Midwest Region, so I’d be guaranteed to have one of my two favorite teams one win away from playing in the regional that Becky and I will be at.

But still. That first-round matchup would be far too painful. Selection committee, please, have mercy…

Side-by-side in the law lounge, and in my heart.

15 Responses to “Dear Joe Lunardi, I hate you. Sincerely, Brendan Loy”

1. kcatnd says:

Triple allegiance has its pros and cons…

2. B. Minich says:

This is the downside of being a sports bigamist.

Also, the selection committe is probably not going to go in thinking, “Hrmmm, world famous hurricane blogger Brendan Loy wants us to avoid this matchup.” So I’m not sure what good pleading for mercy is gonna do ya.

3. anon says:

when you root for so many teams stuff like that is bound to happen. most of us normal folk can’t relate to such a predicament (sp?).

Well, why on earth not? ;)

when you root for so many teams stuff like that is bound to happen

Except that, with most of the teams I root for, with various different levels of passion, there’s a clear hierarchy. For instance, I routinely root for Missouri Valley teams and other mid-majors, but if any of them game up against USC, Gonzaga or Notre Dame, it wouldn’t be a close call — I’d root for the Trojans, Zags or Irish. Same deal with a team like Winthrop… I’ll be cheering for them against virtually any BCS team, but certainly not one of the “Big Three.” Likewise, I regularly cheer for the Irish, but if they played USC or Gonzaga, forget it. Kinda like how I cheer for Notre Dame in football in every game except one. There’s a clear hierarchy, so it’s not a problem for me.

This is really the only possible situation where there could be a matchup of two of my “favorite” teams where it would be really, really hard for me to decide who to root for. As such, I don’t agree that it’s “bound” to happen.

P.S. If this matchup happened, I would probably try to pick the winner in my bracket based on an objective analysis of who I think will win (as opposed to picking with my heart, as I so often do), and then “root for my bracket,” using the desire to do well in the pool as the tiebreaker between the Trojans and Zags. Which would most likely mean I’d be cheering for USC.

7. Your basketball devotions go USC > Gonzaga > ND??!?

Since when?

8. Jay Johnson says:

I know I wouldn’t like to see a Memphis-Tennessee matchup in the first round of the tourney. That would truly and verily suck. Fortunately, I think the Tigers are probably going to land around a 2 seed, and the Vols, depending on the SEC tourney, could play their way up to a 5-6 (or a 3-4 if they win the tourney).

I don’t understand people giving Brendan a hard time for rooting for multiple teams. I DO understand being a passionate fan of your team(s), especially if you’re an alum. I can’t understand someone not understanding that you can actually have another set of teams that you like/enjoy watching.

I’ve got a ton of teams like that that I enjoy watching play, especially come tourney time, but only if they’re not playing one of MY teams (Memphis and Tennessee).

I can’t really understand watching or bothering to watch college hoops/football, etc., if you don’t have some measure of rooting interest in one of the teams. Unless you’ve contacted your local bookie and gotten down on the game in question. Then I completely understand.

Anyway, I’ve been trying to decide if I’m a Volunteer Tiger or a Tiger Vol. Football season, it’s probably #1, but this time of year, it’s definitely the latter.

Go TIGERS Go!
    Go Vols!

Mike, it’s more like USC/Gonzaga > ND, and to answer your question, it’s been that way since I enrolled here. By way of explanation, my sidebar links to a couple of relevant Bloypedia pages: Explanation of who I root for and Why I like Gonzaga.

It can be argued that I “should” prioritize both USC and ND ahead of Gonzaga, since they’re my alma mater and my soon-to-be second alma mater, respectively. But I’ve been a fan of the Zags since 1995 and a passionate fan since 1999, with the passion increasing with each passing year. Simply put, I have developed an irrationally overwhelming rooting interest in the Zags, and it’s gotten to the point where I have a very, very hard time imagining myself rooting against them, under any circumstances. But on the other hand, how can I root against USC? They’re USC!!

Jay, I appreciate your comments, and agree completely. People’s amazement and confusion over my sports fandom never ceases to amaze and confuse me. I see it as a combination of sports snobbery (there is definitely a contingent of people who think that having more than one “favorite,” even if the hierarchy is clear, is inherently wrong and/or unmanly, regardless of the circumstances) and blind anti-Brendan-Loy-ism in some quarters. But it’s still completely bizarre to me. I went to USC, I go to Notre Dame, and I’ve been a Gonzaga fan since I was a kid. Why would it confuse anyone that I feel loyalty to all three of these teams? (And, to a lesser extent, to my home-state team, UConn; to my almost-hometown team, Central Connecticut State; to my wife’s hometown team, Buffalo; and to my soon-to-be hometown team, Tennessee.)

As for your nomenclature dilemma: how about a Voluntiger? :)

10. LaRev says:

I’d anticipate a 12 seed, but damn. That’s a crappy matchup for any 5 seed.

P.S. Personally, I think the only aspect of my “favorite teams” schpiel that’s genuinely a bit odd, and difficult to explain, is why I no longer consider UConn one of my first-tier “favorites.” After all, the Gonzaga logic — that I’ve been a fan since I was a kid — applies in spades to UConn, much moreso than Gonzaga. From 1991-99, UConn was my undisputed #1 favorite team (Gonzaga was #2 starting in ’99). So why don’t I feel more loyalty to UConn now, perhaps even ahead of my alma mater(s) and Gonzaga? If someone wants to criticize me for being a “bad fan,” that is the angle I would suggest pursuing, not the obvious USC/ND thing, or the easily-explained Gonzaga thing.

The answer to the UConn question can be found largely in my “reverse bandwagon” tendencies: I tend to become less passionate about a team once it has become consistently successful and achieved its ultimate goal (USC football excepted), so ever since UConn finally made the Final Four and won the national title in ’99 — an event which coincided with my graduating high school and leaving the state — I’ve gradually become less excited about them. Especially after the second title in ’03, when the men and women achieved the ultimate success of winning simultaneously, I find myself having a ho-hum attitude about Husky success. Yeah, I like to see them do well, and yeah, I feel loyalty to them as my home-state team, but… I just don’t get fired up about UConn the way I used to (and the way I still do about the Zags, who have yet to advance beyond the Elite Eight and thus still have that “monkey on their back,” so to speak).

In addition to that, I’ve increasingly lost respect for Jim Calhoun over the years as I’ve come to the conclusion that he’s a jerk (contrast that with Mark Few and, for that matter, Geno Auriemma). I still put the UConn men on my list of second-tier favorites, but to be honest, I’m not sure how accurate that is. If the Huskies came up against a Missouri Valley or Winthrop-type team, I might not root for them. Hell, I basically rooted for Albany (because they were a #16 seed), Washington (because the refs screwed them), and George Mason (because of the Cinderella story) over UConn last year. I still prefer them to virtually all BCS teams, but they’re at the point where I’ll root for a “good story” over rooting for UConn. I might root for my bracket over rooting for UConn. So the intensity of that loyalty has just sort of faded. Call me a bad fan if you wish, and maybe I am, but that’s just how I feel about it, in my heart, and I can’t deny that.

P.S. Come to think of it, I probably feel more passionately about UConn football than I do about UConn men’s basketball these days, because that’s still a case where home-state pride meshes with Cinderella status. :)

I’d love to see USC play Gonzaga. Gonzaga isn’t a story anymore, they’re just another successful small basketball school like Villanova or Wake Forest.

I’m a Volunteer Tiger
    What? No ambition to become a professional? ;-)

15. kcatnd says:

Semi-professional tiger would be ideal.