1 apartment, 91 cats

It’s people like this that cause apartment complexes to set arbitrary two-pet limits which make it nearly impossible for people like me and Becky (with our dog and three cats) to find a place to live. Argh.

Not that I’m bitter over our stagnating search for an apartment in Knoxville, or anything. Harumph.

While I’m on the topic: limits on dog size are SO FREAKING DUMB. Your average Jack Russell Terrier will do vastly more damage to an apartment, and cause vastly more grief for neighbors, than any Greyhound or Great Dane — two large breeds that are actually ideal apartment dogs.

It’s not the discrimination that bothers me; it’s the irrationality of it. I could more easily stomach being told “you can’t live here because you have a large dog” or “you can’t live here because you have four pets” if there was actually any rational reason for anyone to think that any of our pets would cause them any problems whatsoever. But our most-passive-dog-in-the-universe greyhound and our three adorable, harmless cats? Please.

Two-pet limits and large-dog restrictions are simultaneously overbroad and underbroad. And I don’t like them. And they suck. So there. :)

12 Responses to “1 apartment, 91 cats”

My guess is you guys could easily afford to buy a condo or small house, so why deal with the fuss of an apartment?

2. Jay Johnson says:

Let me know if I can help on the housing search…I’ll do what I can.

3. Jay Johnson says:

The condo market here is actually pretty fluid, and you could potentially flip it relatively quickly if you guys decide to move after the clerkship

4. Jay Johnson says:

possibly for a decent little profit, I might add.

5. Nadine says:

Aren’t you forgetting to include Huge Manatee?

6. Melissa says:

Brendan,

I second Jay’s motion. You guys need to look at buying. A nice investment, no hassles with landlords.

7. Brett says:

Ahh, but be careful about buying. Many townhome and condo associations have rules in place that limit the size/quantity of pets.

My townhome association currently limits you to 2 four-legged pets (so I guess if you have a dog with three legs, he doesn’t count).

8. Lisa says:

So Brett, you need lots of dogs like this one in your townhome:

9. Lisa says:

Incidentally, that dog’s story is pretty neat and inspiring. I love animals overcoming adversity.

10. Vicki from NJ says:

Brendan,
    I’m sorry to disagree with you, but pet rules do make sense. As someone who worked in property management for a long time I can tell you that there are “good” reasons why a building would want to limit the size of dogs/how many you can have. Here’s just what I can think of this second…

1) it’s easier to clean a small dog mess than a big dog mess (I know a lot of maintenance guys!)

2) a lot more people are afraid of/uncomfortable around big dogs than small ones

3) the more pets you have, the more likely it is you’ll damage the unit – you may not fit that category, or think it’s true, but I know it is, I’ve seen it with my own eyes (you wouldn’t believe how disgusting people are)

4)Management companies want to limit the kinds of animals you have because, if, heaven forbid, someone got attacked by a building dog and it was known that you allowed Pitbulls, well, let’s just say, you’d probably lose business [everyone, please don’t start screaming at me about how gentle and sweet pitbulls are, I’m just using them as an example – our family dog is a Pit mix]
    4.5) There are people who would not move into a building that allowed large/multiple dogs (as a real estate agent, you’ll have to trust me on this)

*I will offer this advice though… if you find an apt. that you really like, you could offer to pay more security/pet deposit, sometimes that will work (Especially if the problem is with the cats)

11. Melissa says:

Brendan, I am with you on this one! I agree with the previous comment that there are legitimate reasons for these rules, but it is extraordinarily frustrating to try to find something when you have pets. My dogs are the laziest things in the whole world, they literally sleep all day and make no noise. But since one of them is 65 pounds we are having a hard time finding an apartment. It seems that 40 pounds is the magic number. It sucks that you feel you have to buy a place to have your pets. That being said, I do believe that having pets is a luxury, so there are costs involved. We are going to end up paying about $2100/month for a one bedroom because of the pet thing!

12. dcl says:

I tend to agree with Vicki. There are reasons for the pet restrictions. Having some experience with a few different Condo’s, one of which had a serious pet problem until the board really tightened up the regulations and working on various housing committees at USC there are real reasons for just about every rule. Is it annoying not having candles in your dorm? How about having your dorm burn down because a unit decided to place column candles on a stack of papers. when the candles burned down and caught the paper on fire they tried to put said fire out with a chiffon pillow that, obviously, burst into flames and was then thrown onto the bed… you get the idea–and that’s why you can’t have candles anymore.