Quit playing games with my heart, Joe Lunardi

From the latest edition of Bracketology:

Heh. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that. I’d like to be able to root for all three of my teams in the first round.

P.S. The new ESPN Bubble Watch and Fox Sports Breaking the Bracket are out, too.

UPDATE: Lunardi’s projection of an Irish-Zags matchup is bad for me… but Bracketology 101‘s projection (as of Monday) is worse:

Good lord. I have no idea who I would root for in that game.

8 Responses to “Quit playing games with my heart, Joe Lunardi”

1. Paul B. says:

That is exactly the reason why sports bigamy (or polygamy) is a mistake.

Yes, but much like a polyamorist, I can’t help which teams I fall in love with! :)

At least I know the hierarchy between USC and Notre Dame. Trojans first, Irish second. And I also know that Gonzaga comes before Notre Dame in men’s basketball… just because. So the matchup suggested by Lunardi would be annoying because it reduces the number of games involving teams that I like, but I know who I’d root for: the Zags.

The real dilemma is USC vs. Gonzaga. I feel almost obligated to root for the Trojans; they’re my alma mater, after all. But I’ve liked Gonzaga longer (then again, the same is true of UConn, which is nowadays no better than #4 on the “favorite teams” list, so that can’t be the deciding favtor) and I just have a hard time fathoming rooting against them in NCAAs. In the end, I would probably root for whichever team I thought had the more legit chance to make a deep run in the tournament.

I suppose I should look on the bright side: if USC played Gonzaga, there’s no way I could be terribly unhappy with the outcome. Either way, I have one of my two favorite teams in the second round.

P.S. If nothing else, this makes Selection Sunday more interesting than usual. Talk about suspense as the brackets are announced. If the teams remain in approximately the same positions they are now, it is hypothetically possible that any combination of my three teams — USC-Gonzaga, USC-Notre Dame, or Notre Dame-Gonzaga — could be paired up in the first round. So that’ll make the selection show much more interesting even than it usually is for me. Even moreso when you consider that several of the teams I peripherally root for (not “favorites,” but “other teams I like”), such as Georgetown, Tennessee, and several Missouri Valley teams, could be in roughly the same seed range. Not to mention the suspense of wondering whether any of my teams will be in the Midwest Region, where Becky and I are going for the Regionals.

This is going to be the best March Madness EVER. :)

Just wait until one of the MVC teams you have a hard-on for play another one of your bandwagon teams. OH NO!

More for your “Cheerleader Sex Scandal” category…

You’re welcome, Brendan.

Anon #1, care to define which are my “bandwagon teams”? Would that be Gonzaga, which I’ve been rooting for since 1995; USC, my undergrad alma mater; or Notre Dame, my law school? Or do you mean the various mid-majors that I root for come March? If the latter, that doesn’t make much sense, since the MVC team in question would be one of “my bandwagon teams,” according to your definition. On the other hand, if one of the MVC teams played any of my Big Three teams (Trojans, Zags or Irish), I would of course root for my Big Three.

It’s so stupid that you haters make fun of me for liking various different teams. Practically everybody in America jumps on the “bandwagon” of the mid-majors (and low-majors) in March. That’s why Championship Week and the first round of the tourney are so popular. That’s why George Mason’s run was such a huge deal. There’s no shame in rooting for the little guy in March Madness. And practically everybody has more than one team that they have an affinity for. Most have a single favorite above and beyond the rest, whereas I have 2-3 “favorites,” I’ll give you that … but I’m not as unusual as you folks like to pretend. Whether it’s because your girlfriend/wife went to college there, or it’s your home state team, or your parents’ alma mater, whatever… most everybody’s got at least a few different teams they like. Show me a fan who only ever roots for one team, and I’ll show you a damn boring fan who doesn’t adequately appreciate the joy of sports. The only thing that makes me different from your Average Joe in this regard is that I have a blog.

Brendan, I am incredibly disappointed. No team should come before the Trojans. Ever.

Somehow, I thought I’d get crap from you for this post, Andrew.

Hopefully this is a dilemma I never have to deal with in real life. Or at least not until the national championship game. ;)