The bet

After much wrangling over terms, Mike and I have agreed on a bet for tomorrow’s USC-UCLA game. I insisted that we bet on the game’s outcome straight-up, not on the spread, because I hate betting on the spread (I don’t want my team to win, yet be unhappy). But because of the hefty odds against the Bruins (the Trojans are favored by 13 1/2 points), Mike insisted that my penalty if UCLA wins be more severe than his penalty if USC wins. That seemed fair. So, here are the terms:

If USC wins, Mike has to wear one of my USC shirts to Professional Responsibility class on Monday.

If UCLA wins, I have to wear one of Mike’s UCLA shirts to Professional Responsibility class on Monday, and I have to publish a post on the blog about why UCLA is better than USC. (Mike promised to help me think of some things to say in this post, since personally, I can’t think of a single reason.) And Becky has to co-sign it.

Fight on! Beat the Bruins!

10 Responses to “The bet”

1. Mike T says:

Bring it biatch.

We have been, for the past 7 years i believe ;-)

3. Myles Brand says:

NCAA Bylaw 4.5.43.23.1:

In order to use the word ‘we’ as a fan when talking about a team, you must hold a degree from said institution.

Tell it to the “subway alumni.”

5. kcatnd says:

I don’t buy those conditions for using “we” because football teams get a lot of support from fans who may not have gone to the school, but have been cheering them on for decades. Locals rally around teams even if they don’t have a personal connection (look at how Nebraskans rally around Nebraska or how New Yorkers rally around Rutgers). My uncle didn’t graduate from his favorite school, but has donated money to the program every year for decades, in addition to making trips to what seems like nearly every home and away game he can. Any diehard fan has a right to say “we” even if students and alumni do get priority.

Myles Brand, I could say various things in relation to your post, but well its the holiday season so i’m trying to stay on the nice list :P

7. Kristin says:

Brendan, I certainly hope you got Becky’s permission before you agreed to that term. :)

8. Randy says:

Sounds fair enough

9. Wobbly H says:

Yeah, Myles. I would feel repulsed to say that I have a right to cheer for ND, but a 60-year old subway who’s been to a game for the last 40 years doesn’t.

And how dare you try to leave Davie rooting only for the Huskies.

10. B. Minich says:

Technically, I’m not supposed to say “we” for Penn State, since I never went there.

Heck, I’m not even supposed to say “WE ARE!” in the “WE ARE! PENN STATE!” chant, for that reason: students are a part of Penn State, and are supposed to be chanting the “WE ARE”. (If you have heard how loud the WE ARE part of the chant is, you get an idea of how many students attend. I am unsure of how alumni are supposed to cheer.)