Tendentious Times backs Lamont

The Hartford Courant, the New Haven Register, the New York Post and Daily News, the Providence Journal and the Washington Post have all endorsed Joe Lieberman for Senate, but on Sunday the New York Times endorsed Ned Lamont.

The Lieberman campaign issued a scathing response. Excerpt:

[T]he Times’ ill-informed and tendentious endorsement of Ned Lamont reads as if the editors had outsourced the editorial writing to the same crew of blindingly angry bloggers who have teamed with the Lamont Campaign to twist Joe Lieberman’s record beyond all recognition.

What resulted -– a cant recitation of discredited arguments, along with a willful ignorance of Senator Lieberman’s many accomplishments for the state and the country –- reveals far more about the Times’ knee-jerk biases and lack of rigor than either of the candidates.

The Times most obviously shows its narrow-mindedness by reducing the entire campaign to the war in Iraq, despite the fact that two-thirds of voters in Connecticut consistently say it is not their top concern. Even worse, the Times shows its disinterest in the truth by regurgitating several of the bloggers’ biggest falsehoods and grossly mischaracterizing Senator Lieberman’s position on Iraq.

The fact is, as the Times itself reported last week, Joe Lieberman has openly and frequently challenged the Bush Administration’s conduct of the war — just not in the shrill and hateful terms that the Times and the blogger extremists confuse with strong leadership.

Ouch. And, Amen.

12 Responses to “Tendentious Times backs Lamont”

1. Sean says:

At some point you’re going to have to stop vilifying Lamont and all his supporters and offer an actual argument.

I don’t villify “all” of Lamont’s supporters. I’ve repeatedly made clear that I don’t have a problem with people voting for Lamont if their position is truly based on an honest assessment of the issues. What I do have a problem with is the patently false anti-Lieberman propaganda that he’s a closet Republican, Bush’s best friend, etc. And if it weren’t for that propaganda putting “Nedrenaline” over the top, Lieberman would have won the primary and would be the Democratic nominee right now.

Anyway, it’s ironic to say that it’s “villifying” Lamont to point out how his campaign and some of his supporters have made an artform out of villifying Lieberman.

Shorter Brendan Loy:

“I know you are, but what am I?”

Ah, politics. :)

4. dcl says:

What idiotic cry baby staffer wrote that tripe?

5. Joe Mama says:

Lieberman’s campaign is taking the NYTimes to task for its knee-jerk biases?! Damn, that guy MUST be a Republican ;-)

6. Lojo says:

dcl –

Well, you know what they say about politics. If you make the most of it, you work hard and you do your research and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well.

If you don’t, you get stuck in Iraq.

7. Joe Loy says:

The Times’ big circulation area in CT is Fairfield County, where Joe is going to Romp next week. :)

8. Leanna Loomer says:

Let me see: Businessman. Self-funded millionaire. Fairfield County.

Can anyone tell me who the Democrat is in this race?

9. Joe T says:

You know, I never really understood why it mattered who a paper endorsed. I mean, is someone that undecided to go “Hey, the Post picked candidate A, so that’s who I’m voting for”?? Seriously.

10. Joe Loy says:

Actually a recent Hartford Courant editorial, urging an Affirmative vote on the big Sewer referendum :> in Hartford & 7 other area towns including mine, Swayed me from Undecided-leaning-No, to Yes. I figured the Courant was more Familiar with the Subject Matter than I was. :) Mind you now, this is a 15-year, $1.6 Billion, deal. If done, it’ll be Hartford’s Big Dig. Mandated by The Feds & already Agreed to via a Consent Decree ~ but with Funding mechanisms still rather Murky. (Not unlike the Subject Matter, Itself. :) / The Courant & other elements of The CT Establishment are fearful that the voters will send it Down the Toilet on Nov. 7. Yes they may just put the Plan into the Can. Swamped by the suburban Effluent vote. ;> Me, I proposed a Low-cost Private-sector Voluntary solution: people should Shit less. We could wear civic-minded Buttons reading “I don’t Give a Crap” and so forth. / But No, They said: it’s a Pipe dream. :}

11. Kyle says:

Greetings from NYC. The last Lamont commercial I saw had Lamont’s wife, mother, and father talking about what a great guy he is. I thought that was a little pathetic. Gee, if your mom, dad, and wife thing you’re a swell guy, then I so should I!!!