Life imitates South Park, again

World of Warcraft destroys families and friendships, eviscerates old hobbies, and makes you fat? Expect Mayor Nanny Bloomberg to declare it illegal in New York City within the week.

18 Responses to “Life imitates South Park, again”

1. Sean says:

Who would have known that a solitary, time-consuming, sedentary activity could do those things?

2. Brett says:

LOL!!!

Next you’re going to tell me that sucking down a box of Twinkies a day isn’t good for me either.

Oh the humanity!!!

3. Lojo says:

Horde FTW, noobs.

Ah but thats the thing, its NOT solitary, it involves thousands of other people ;-)

In all seriousness though, i think the biggest problem here is that people need to take responsiblity for their own lives and turn off the game once and a while.

5. Briandot says:

Personally, I think people should go outside (the real outside) and swing swords, maces, and what-not, instead of in a simulation.

6. marty says:

I never got into WoW. I was more of a Counter Strike guy. In college my whole hall would sign on the lan and we would create games and have 10 on 10 matches. And we were drunk.

7. Angrier and Angrier says:

People can get addicted to anything. WoW, sports, shopping, drugs, work, sex, Joementum. Some people just have obsessive compulsive personalities. I actually feel kind of sorry for them.

8. Lojo says:

Angrier beat me to it.

Some personalities are just more prone to addiction that others.

And the game is fun, but one you hit the ‘endgame’ all that fun vanishes almost overnight.

Thats when you create a new character and start over Lojo, come on man, feed the addiction! Or you spend hours upon hours trying to get that Uber Knife of DoomXorz lolol!!11!!1! +2000 to noob slaying

10. Lojo says:

City of Heroes is far more amenable to alts. And more fun in a lot of ways too.

11. Aaron says:

My name is Aaron, and I’m a coke addict.

Coca-Cola, that is. ;)

Actually I’m quite serious. In a way, it’s a comfort to me. Why? Because even though I consume my fair share of tasty alchoholic beverages, I’ve never in my life felt a craving for beer or wine or scotch in the same way I get a craving for a Coke pretty much every day.

The nanny-staters’ error lies not in recognizing that addiction is real. Their error lies in believing government should make people’s decisions for them.

Addicted to Joementum? LOL!

13. Angrier and Angrier says:

It’s okay, Brendan. It’s a disease. You shouldn’t be ashamed.

This is the funniest thread i have seen in a long time

15. Mad Max, Esquire says:

I keep imagining Brendan walking into the middle of a Joementum Intervention. He enters his apartment to find his parents, Becky, David K., Andrew and the rest of the Brendansphere standing there. When Brendan asks, “What’s this?” the bedroom door opens and Ned Lamont walks out. “Brendan,” he says, “We are here to help.”

16. Clyde says:

I don’t know about online games, but I know that “Oblivion” can gobble up all of your spare time if you let it. It’s one of those games that you play for a while and then you look up at the clock and realize that most of the day has gone by. It’s like heroin, but baby, it feels good…

17. Lojo says:

Clyde –

For a feel for WoW’s grinding endgame, using Oblivion as the metaphor, imagine that getting Daedric boots for your character involves getting 35 other henchmen, entering a dungeon where you fight creatures, any single one of them could kill all 35 of you, it takes 6-8 hours to complete it, and even if those boots show up with a 0.05% chance, you have to roll to see which of the 36 people get it.

Its pretty ugly.