Hanoi Jane comes to Notre Dame

Jane Fonda will be on campus tomorrow evening, according to an e-mail sent out this afternoon:

Please join us for a special presentation this Thursday night by actor, activist, and advocate Jane Fonda…details provided below.

The Gigot Center for Entrepreneurial Studies recently launched a new initiative for undergraduate students representing all colleges within the University and areas of study. The program incorporates microventuring and social entrepreneurship with 52 students enrolled in this inaugural semester.

This program advances the University/College’s mission of service by exposing our students to a thorough understanding of the roots of poverty and the economic impact it has on communities, regions, and the world. Our students are learning that entrepreneurship is a viable means to creating economic self-sufficiency.

We are privileged to include several world-class speakers in our class this semester, including:

• Jane Fonda – Academy Award-winning Actor, Activist, Advocate for Women’s Issues, particularly Women in Poverty

• This Thursday evening, October 5th, at 7 p.m.

• 101 DeBartolo

• All Notre Dame and St. Mary’s students, faculty/staff invited to attend (not open to the public)

Jane’s talk will bring enlightenment to a subject that is neither adequately discussed nor understood – the feminization of poverty. There may be awareness that there are 1.1 billion people living on less than $1 per day, but it is likely lesser known that the majority of them are women. Jane’s research of the gender aspect to poverty and the critical need to empower women will only serve to enrich the ideas and dialogue that is just beginning to commence in our classroom.

12 Responses to “Hanoi Jane comes to Notre Dame”

1. Joe Mama says:

My old man, a Vietnam vet, still proudly drives around with a bumper sticker that says, “Boycott Jane Fonda, American Traitor Bitch.”

2. DrawingDead says:

I still remember seeing the sign at an old truck stop on a cross-country roadie with the family when I was back in elementary school (probably in the Oklahoma-ish part of the world) with another favorite refrain “We’re Not Fonda Jane”

What exactly does she have to do with entrepreneurship? And why do we want to study poor folks? Shouldn’t we be focusing on people that have accumulated wealth?

Damn, why couldn’t she give her speech on like October 22 or something, so I could be there to throw a tomato at her?

4. CCM says:

Ah, leave Jane alone.

This country is filled with low intellegence celebrities who lost perspective about themselves and began to think their opinions actually mattered.

The bigger question:

Why would ND have any interest in her?

5. NDLauren says:

On another Thursday at ND-related note, it sounds like there’s going to be a rather large facilities annoucement at the JACC at 11 am. I sincerely hope it includes (many) upgrades to the JACC, since it seems to me to be the most likely candidate (since we’re already aware of the softball upgrades).

6. Joe Mama says:

“Yes, going to North Viet Nam was a PR disaster, but I don’t really believe it extended the POW imprisonment time.”

Who cares about the PR ramifications for Jane? What she did was obnoxious and disgusting. Nor does whether her visit extended POW imprisonment time matter at all:

7. Anon says:

Um. Am I missing something, or didn’t she APOLOGIZE??

I saw Jane Fonda speak last year. She was an insightful, fun, and engaging speaker. She also repeated how sorry she was for her actions back in the 70’s and continues to do that today.

What kind of country are we if we can’t forgive? What kind of Catholics are YOU if you can’t forgive?

8. Toni says:

She said she was sorry about what she did because of all the problems it caused HER.
    She has never said ( that I know of )what she did was WRONG or appologised to the vets.

9. Alasdair says:

Anon @ 9:57:12 am …

No-one expects the Oirish Inquisition !

(with apologies to Monty Python)

10. shuchi says:

Excuse you, Toni. How many times have you gone to see Jane Fonda speak? I’ve seen her twice and both times she has publicly apologized for her actions and the possible harm it could have caused american soldiers. While she clearly stated that she was vehemently opposed to the Vietnam War (and still is), she basically said that she was young, stupid, and careless, and that if she could take back any harm she may have caused to American POWs, she would.

But of course ignorant blowhards like yourself don’t want to hear any of that, you’d just rather keep on hating. Sucks to be you…

11. Joe Mama says:

From the Snopes piece I linked to above:

In 1988, sixteen years after the fact, Fonda finally met with Vietnam veterans to apologize for her actions. This nationally-televised apology (during which she attempted to minimize her actions by characterizing them as “thoughtless and careless”) came at a time when New England vets were successfully disrupting a film project she was working on, leading more than a few to read a huge dollop of self-interest into her apology.

Fonda again “apologized” in 2005, an act which not suprisingly once again coincided with the release of a film in which she had a starring role (Monster-in-Law, her first leading role since 1990’s Stanley & Iris) and a book tour to promote her autobiography. As she had several years earlier, Fonda made it quite clear that she was apologizing only for posing for photographs while seated at a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun, and even then her “apology” was couched in the most oblique terms possible (i.e., she didn’t address the people she harmed and say she was sorry for hurting them; she only issued the self-confessional statement that she “regretted” one of her actions):

2000: “I will go to my grave regretting the photograph of me in an anti-aircraft carrier, which looks like I was trying to shoot at American planes. It hurt so many soldiers. It galvanized such hostility. It was the most horrible thing I could possibly have done. It was just thoughtless.”

2005: “I will go to my grave regretting that. The image of Jane Fonda, ‘Barbarella,’ Henry Fonda’s daughter, just a woman sitting on an enemy aircraft gun was a betrayal. It was like I was thumbing my nose at the military and at the country that gave me privilege.”

Fonda emphasized she was that not apologizing for any other actions connected with her trip to North Vietnam, or for any of her other anti-war activities:

The 67-year-old actress and activist, however, defended her decision to go to Hanoi and said she had no regrets about being photographed with American POWs there or making broadcasts on Radio Hanoi because she was trying to stop the war.

“There are hundreds of American delegations that had met with the POWs,” she added. “Both sides were using the POWs for propaganda. It’s not something that I will apologize for.”

12. Toni says:

Shuchi…
    I added “( that I know of )” because I have not heard her say or read anywhere that she had said she was sorry for her role or that she said I am sorry forgive me to the soldiers of the vietnam war.

If you can produce such a statment have at it blow hard!