A half-hour with the Robot Genius

For those who missed tonight’s 60 Minutes interview with Charlie Weis — and even for those who saw it, but want to see more — you can watch a bunch of video clips here. (Hat tip: Wobbly H, who says, “Clear about a half hour from your schedule to watch these.”)

12 Responses to “A half-hour with the Robot Genius”

1. Wobbly H says:

Of course, the part I immediately watched was the sideline microphone clip that included more than the piece on TV tonight. I’m no softie when it comes to profanity, and it’s no secret that Weis’ gameday vocabulary has a lot of 4-letter words. But I did feel bad for his assistants. He told special teams coach Brian Polian to ‘get the f*** off the field,’ and dressed down offensive coordinator Mike Haywood (who calls him ‘sir’), as well as a few of the other assistants. I guess if it’s his way of bringing accountability back to the program, it works.

2. Angrier and Angrier says:

Weis really comes off as an unlikable, self-satisfied prick in the interview. I guess that is necessary to succeed as a coach, but it will make it easier for me to despise him if and when his team hits the skids.

3. ND Law says:

I love the way 60 minutes was trying to get viewers for this story during the Navy game: “The priests at Notre Dame won’t want to hear this, but you can” *cue dramatic music/ticking clock*

The man’s a football coach, not a priest. I found the whole thing mildly entertaining but otherwise pointless.

4. Wobbly H says:

Angrier, he looked like an arrogant prick when he was talking about football and when he was on the field. When they spoke to him with his wife, he looked like a caring family man. I think the segment was a complete picture of Weis, and how his on-field persona differs from other aspects of his life–unless, of course, you think Weis comes home and tells Hannah to “get her f***ing toys off the floor.”

5. Angrier and Angrier says:

I know a lot of assholes who are nice to their immediate families and pricks to everyone else. They are called the Bushes.

6. Brian Foster says:

7. Wobbly H says:

Can’t blame them for giving the viewing public what they want and tying it in to their Navy/ND coverage, B.F. Which is why the only news magazine in which Janelle Smith would ever have a chance of appearing is “Dateline: To Catch a Predator.”

Weis really comes off as an unlikable, self-satisfied prick

So do you. At least the unlikable part. Big deal.

9. Angrier and Angrier says:

“So do you. At least the unlikable part. Big deal.”

Well, given that you know absolutely 100% nothing about me, I’ll take it with a grain of sand.

10. Angrier and Angrier says:

“I’m just glad 60 Minutes was courageous enough to fill the embarrassingly huge gap in Charlie Weis coverage. A national crisis averted!”

Heh. I think if Jesus was sitting in the stands of a Notre Dame game the media would still be fawning over Weis.

I’ll take it with a grain of sand.

Or salt, even. :)

12. Wobbly H says:

Angrier, watch the segment of the show where Coach Weis discusses his gastric bypass surgery. Then, you will probably realize that you are a lousy prick for comparing the personal life of Notre Dame’s coach to that of the President (it is abominable on both levels, in fact). You bring criticism on yourself by both your comments and your posting name. You are a loaf in the john after a giant fast food meal. Have some respect.