Of hookers and happy marriages

Over at her long-dormant Valkyrie of Discarded Thought, Becky is finally blogging again, first about the secrets to a happy marriage and then about our run-in with a drunk driver in Buffalo last weekend. (As Becky aptly summarizes it: “our drunk driving man is a) drunk, b) has no ID, c) has a bag of weed on him and d) has a nasty hooker in his car.” Yes, it was an entertaining encounter.)

In the happy-marriage post, I particularly like this paragraph:

I think it’s important to remember that love doesn’t only describe a feeling. Love is a verb. Verbs are actions and therefore, love is an action. Sometimes feeling the love isn’t enough. You need to see it and experience it. For example, Brendan will occasionally clean out my car when I accumulate a ridiculous number of half full water bottles. He’ll drop what he’s doing if I’m headed to bed before he is and I can’t find my teddy bear. He’ll indulge me by listening to my endless proclamations about the wonders of my Netflix queue. I smile and nod when he starts hypothesizing about Hurricane Ernesto and what the latest computer models are saying.

Heh.

8 Responses to “Of hookers and happy marriages”

1. jerry lynch says:

My name is Jerry Lynch and i live in Scotsdale AZ. Congrats on the wedding!

I need some help from my irish folks for the sake of the good Lynch name.

I am in a competition to make the finals of a golf-reality show audition. It all comes down to on-line voting now.

please ask your readers to go to http://www.weekendersgolf.com and look for team “Tin Cup” and vote for us. they must vote for two other teams also, so i recommend two with significantly higher scores than us, as opposed to two with scores below us. The top six make it, so vote for us and those way above us — team “Double Trouble” and team “Two bags” would be recommended.

Thanks Irish!!!

Love, Tin Cup

2. uscroger says:

The part I like:

“If my relationship is like a dog, I have to figuratively walk it, groom it, feed it and train it. I have to hang out with it and play with it. Or else, why the hell do I have a dog?

So in conclusion, grab a leash and walk your husband at least twice a day and you’ll have a happy relationship.”

Hmmm. How does that really translate? Does it read, I’m in charge here and I own you? LOL

3. Strabo says:

I think you need to be married a bit longer to even remotely understand what its all about, throw in 3 kids your trying to raise, then come back in 25 years and we can talk about it, not that im being mean mind you, im just being realistic, iv’e been married 26 years and together with her for 28..

You’ll discover Love and Marriage are 2 differant things…Love is a need, not a verb.

4. Briandot says:

With a title like that I was thinking it would be something along the lines of: “Hookers Make Happy Marriages” or “A hooker a day keeps the blue balls away”.

Guess not, though. :-P

5. Toni says:

I have no idea what makes a happy marrage I just know that if I want to be happy I have to keep the Mr. Happy which I work very hard at atleast twice a day :)

6. Funny says:

I remember this one movie with Ron Jeremy where he was like “Say hello to Mr. Happy.” Classic.

7. Toni says:

Yeah it is a lot like that.

8. Jazz says:

Most folks leave these types of questions to those in society who are best able to answer them:

Hollywood types.

Now and again Hollywood gives prestigious awards to those with the most insight in these important areas. For example, a decade ago Mr. Ben Affleck won an Academy Award for writing a screenplay that explored the meaning of deep and true love.

Good insights too. Robin Williams mentioning that he loves his wife because he alone knows that she “fahts in bed”.

There were probably other good insights too. I just can’t remember them right now.

As you might expect, Mr. Ben Affleck lived up to his award for understanding the ways of love with other great love stories like Surviving Christmas, Giggly, and of course Armageddon, which come to think of it is a dangerous title for an Affleck movie.

In summary, its a challenge to say exactly what love is. Let’s meet up at the multiplex tomorrow night, maybe we’ll find out then.