Reminder

Tonight on Comedy Central:

9:30 PM: “Cartoon Wars, Part 1” rerun
10:00 PM: “Cartoon Wars, Part 2” debut (hopefully!)

Goooooo South Park, Beeeeeeat Censors! :)

P.S. Apparent confirmation that there really will be a Part 2 here. Unless they’re yanking our chain.

UPDATE: Did Comedy Central really censor it? Or did South Park just pretend they did? Are Stone and Parker being oppressed, or are they just f***ing with us? So much confusion! Oh, the Hugh Manatee!

Blogospheric reaction here. Most bloggers are falling hook, line and sinker for what I suspect is Matt and Trey’s little joke. I don’t believe they were actually censored, but many people think they were.

I freely admit that I could be wrong. But I think the “censorship” was designed to provoke precisely the kind of reaction this is causing. Those South Park boys sure know how to make a fuss.

One way or another, I suspect this will be clarified in the morning. Until it is, I would advise anyone who doesn’t want to end up feeling foolish to hold off on writing angry letters to Comedy Central.

(That said, if by chance Comedy Central really did censor Muhammed, that really is outrageous, considering they’ve shown him before, almost five years ago. Of course, that was before the Danish cartoons fiasco. So, clearly, the only plausible explanation for why they would censor him now, when they didn’t censor him before, is the fear of violence — i.e., giving into fear and intimidation, letting the terrorists and extremists win. But, as I said, I don’t think they really censored him. I’m about… oh, maybe 70% sure. :)

18 Responses to “Reminder”

1. Bob says:

Comedy Central censored it.

2. dcl says:

continued lameness…

3. 4-7 says:

I don’t think Comedy Central censored it. That was part of the gag. Why build the tension so much ? to laugh and say, ‘ha ha, comedy central didn’t let us show it’ – – – IRONY !

4. Bob says:

Predictable, dudes.

5. Bob says:

No way. Parker and Stone would have come up with something a lot better than a simple black screen explaining it. I think it was a censor job. Authentic.

I think the whole point was so we would have this very debate. You don’t think Parker and Stone are smart enough to come up with the simple black screen specifically because their fans would figure “Parker and Stone would have come up with something a lot better than a simple black screen explaining it”?

I’m about 70% sure that 4-7 is right.

7. 4-7 says:

when someone praises 4-7, he reacts like a japanime character who’s just been given an ice cream, i.e. lots of tears and flailing.

8. Bob says:

This is what I know:

1. Parker and Stone: never, EVER afraid to push the limit. Would attempt to run the cartoon just to say they did it, if nothing else.

2. Comedy Central: owned by Viacom. VERY afraid to push the limit. Probably push back Stone and Parker more than we know.

I’ll take my 30% on this one, Brendan!

Just because they aren’t afraid to push the limit doesn’t mean they will always in fact do the most limit-pushing thing they possibly could. They might judge that it would be funnier or more entertaining to do something else. Here, I think they made precisely that judgment. They didn’t decide not to show Muhammad because they’re afraid of terrorists. They decided not to show Muhammad — and falsely claim they’d been censored — in the service a higher calling: they’re f***ing with us. :)

Again, I could be wrong, but that’s what I think. Certainly, “they’re never afraid to push the limit” doesn’t disprove my belief.

10. 4-7 says:

I also think that the ending with the AlZawahiri bit (that was about 10 seconds too long past funny) would have had no bite if the Crecendo had been seeing a Muhammad cartoon on TV. the cartoon would have taken center stage, and the Al Q reaction . . . tame. The gag makes little sense without the premise that it would be “censored” from the word go.

11. 4-7 says:

I mean if they had showed Muhammad, the Al Q response would have seemed tame. All this fuss about violence and there was no violence at all, just counterspeech. If that’s the case, then it wouldn’t take that much courage to show Muhammad, which they never planned to. I personally, would have liked to see the old codger.

12. texasyank says:

I’ll guess Comedy Central took them off. Otherwise, a simple showing of Muhammad with the salmon helmet would have sufficed, and brilliantly.

And a beautiful denoument. Daily Kos comes up with worse stuff than Bush-poop. Or Christ-poop. In my lifetime, I’ve seen a woman Christ, a gay Christ, a married Christ, a crucifix dumped in urine, a Virgin Mary decorated with elephant shit and countless other–what?–products of infidels? Some strike me as curious, others as provocative. Nothing shapes my faith or provokes me because of my faith.

13. ScottF says:

I don’t see what all the controversy is about.

Really… I didn’t see it… I dutifully recorded from 9:30 – 10:30 after being reminded about it here instead of checking my local listings.

Someday I’ll remember you’re on EDT/EST and I’m not. :-)

At least I’ll catch the second half on a replay.

14. David Kreutz says:

I saw it, and yeah its an interesting point of view, but it wasn’t all that amazing. And I disagree with Kyle premise that either everything is ok or nothing is, I think there are some lines, and of course the debate should always be where those lines are, but honestly, would it have been right for a tv show to make fun of Sept 11th on Sept 12th?

that was about 10 seconds too long past funny

Well said. There were a couple of moments like that in the episode, like the Cartman/Kyle fight scene. Perhaps it was a really really subtle satire of Family Guy, which has a strong tendency to have gags which are “10 seconds too long past funny.” More likely, though, they had a couple of minutes less material than they needed for a two-part episode.

I disagree with Kyle premise that either everything is ok or nothing is

Yes — that premise is taking the concept a bit far. The “don’t give in to violence” thing was more accurate, as was Kyle’s response in the first episode to Mr. Garrison’s statement that we aren’t allowed to show Muhammad: “No, Muslims aren’t allowed to show Muhammad.” But unless you’re talking about government censorship (in which case content-neutrality does indeed make it necessary to have a rule that, essentially, either everything is ok or nothing is), it isn’t true that the concept of free speech demands that no one ever have any content-based standards about anything. The point, rather, is that we shouldn’t make those decisions on the basis of fear, or blind obedience to any sort of dogma — whether religious dogma, P.C. dogma, whatever.

The best part of this “Part 2” was how they made fun of themselves for being preachy. Heh. But overall it wasn’t as brilliant on first viewing as the other one was. (And moreover, I have to admit that the first episode doesn’t age all that well. It was hilarious to me on first viewing mostly because you’re not expecting it. But the jokes aren’t laugh-out-loud funny, and they aren’t the kind of thing you can watch over and over and think is hilarious every time… like the South Park movie or even some of the stuff from the “Goobacks” episode. (“THEY TOOK OUR JORRRBS!”) It’s more the concepts that were funny, rather than the actual jokes.

16. dcl says:

See, I just assumed the censoring was fake and part of the show. It followed both the beginning set up of the show and the standard production values of the show. As opposed to Comedy Central production values–if they had wanted to censor it they would have re-aranged the commercials and simply cut to commercial and wouldn’t have acknowledged anything.

17. Mike says:

When I first saw it, I thought that it was all part of a joke, but now it looks like they really were censored…

18. Lojo says:

Gentlemen, Comedy Central has confirmed that they did censor the show. Other than a direct statement from Matt and Trey (which I am actually expecting), this is as good as confirmation gets.