Tucker & me

Here’s a video clip of my MSNBC appearance (MOV format, 3.2 MB). (Many thanks to Johnny Dollar for capturing the video for me!) Here’s a screenshot:

[UPDATE: Here it is as a YouTube clip:
]

You realize, there are probably thousands of people right now trying to get to “brandonloy.com.” And to think, I specifically called the producer in advance and double-checked that they had the correct spelling of my name… ARGH!!!

Anyway, for those who did manage to find this site, I promised links to computer models, so here you go. :) As you can see, the forecast tracks for Ophelia are all over the map… hence the NHC’s official track being a “low-confidence forecast.”

UPDATE: This guy is getting a totally unexpected and unexplained traffic boost right now! :)

UPDATE 2: Those who Google “Brandon Loy” will find me — and indeed, some are.

P.S. And it’s the University of Notre Dame, not “Notre Dame University.”

P.P.S. Here’s a picture of where it all happened, on my end anyway:

54 Responses to “Tucker & me”

1. Mike (seattle) says:

Awesome interview (even if you are a USC alum)…

And MSNBC wonders why they are getting killed in the cable wars – they can’t even spell a dude’s name right!!!!

You still kicked butt though dude!!

2. David says:

when did you register the irishtrojan.com name anyway?

3. Kristen Wall says:

Weird…Brandon kind of looks like you. Good interview. I caught it by chance and said, “Hey, i read that blog!”

4. Love your guitar playing!

Signed…

Second Generation Bruin

5. Lisa says:

Good interview, though you could have done with a bit less frowning and a bit more smiling :)

Not only did they spell your name wrong, they also referred to ND as “Notre Dame University.” I hate it when people do that!

6. Gustavo Quinones says:

Very interesting. I found your blogg area by putting “weather nerd” since i could not find you at “brendonloy”. I like your intuition at arriving at your conclusions! Good work. Loved your pics of the “heavenly encounter”. Keep the good work!, Gus

7. Lisa says:

Don’t worry Brendan, next time I talk to Charlie, I’ll make sure he sends a complaint up to the NBC execs ;)

8. Mary Rose says:

Lisa – I totally agree about the NDU versus the correct University of Notre Dame — (Why can’t reporters ever get things straight!) and you can tag on “du Lac” to get it totally accurate. I always thought it was a nice coincidence that my grade school was Our Lady of the Lake .. though the French os much prettier.

GREAT JOB Brandon

9. Lisa says:

Oh, and Brendan, if you’re gonna pull another one of your all-nighters again and sleep through class, CALL ME so that I don’t try to pick you up and wonder where you are tomorrow morning!

10. Brendan says:

Lisa, I have radio interviews tomorrow at like 6:30 AM, so one way or another, I will be up. :)

11. Briandot says:

Wow. Neato! But…typos abound!

12. Tony says:

I was sitting on my couch flipping through the cable news channels and I watched your interview. I am a NDJD 02 grad and chuckled a bit when I noticed you were a 2L. Just got done reviewing your posts on Katrina, eerie. Good job.

13. Did anyone download (or can otherwise get) the Nagin interview on WWL he did after the mandatory evacuation declaration on Sunday August 28th?

14. David says:

And to think all those times my dad called you Brandon instead of Brendan he was just ahead of the curve ;)

You should contact the guy at brandonloy.com see if he’ll set up a link for people looking for you

15. Casey says:

Wonderful job, Brendan. You sounded intelligent, responsible, and decent. And Tucker Carlson basically fellated you for 5 minutes.

16. Brendan says:

Tucker Carlson basically fellated you for 5 minutes.

LOL… man, if I’d known that was the deal, I would have requested Contessa Brewer or Monica Crowley instead… :)

Becky keeps making fun of me for the fact that the first words out of my mouth (after “thanks for having me”) were, “Well, I didn’t really predict it, Tucker…” as if we’re on a first-name basis or something. Did anyone else think that was weird? I didn’t even think twice about it.

17. Mike says:

I didn’t think that was weird. He did, after all, refer to you by what he thought was your first name throughout…

18. Brendan says:

Good point… I should have called him “Tooker” or “Tacker” or something. :)

Then again, the guy on the air before me kept calling him “Carlson,” so I suppose that particular bit of karmic retribution was handled elsewhere. :)

19. David says:

it doesn’t make sense to use his last name, you aren’t talking football with the guy. and Mr. Carlson? sounds like you are in class. Tucker is the way to go, your a big boy now :)

20. Well, Brandon IS a good name (that’s what the “B” is for), but I get annoyed when people call me Brendon, so I guess we’re even. ;)

21. Kevin says:

I guess WNDU’s call letters don’t help with the U of ND or NDU controversy.

Even worse, I heard it called Notre Dame College yesterday. Can’t remember where, but it peeved me.

22. anon says:

Any chance you could post a transcript for those of us that missed the interview?

23. Tho you can’t correct MSNBC-TV’s misspelling of your name, you might be able to get MSN Video to change it. BTW, a direct link is http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=d6075275-be68-4315-9b1c-81fc28beda69&f=copy Don’t they ask you to spell it before the interview?

Good interview BTW.

@Matthew

24. SCJ says:

Awesome, good job!

25. Brendan says:

anon, I will definitely link to a transcript when I find out. I don’t believe it’s available yet. There is a video link, though, if you can play .mov files.

Matthew, I specifically called the producer and went over the spelling with her. So I don’t know how they managed to still get it wrong.

26. David says:

Brendan,

Not going to be in the office much tommorow but I’ll try and contact someone at MSN to see if they can fix the MSN video link info Matt mentioned above.

I found you, I did the http://www.brandonloy.com ha they did mess up your name but thats ok because the first thing he said was irishtrojan.com and I found you, good interview, you did a wonderful job speaking and will be a good lawyer someday im sure.

Andrew

28. Sean says:

Bah! This misspelling would never happen on the blogosphere! ;-)

Notre Dame is actually Notre Dame du Lac? Does that mean somebody’s going to get a magic sword from a lake?

29. Bob says:

Brenden Loye:

It amazes me how many ways the media can butcher your name and URL! It’s not rocket science (try Oppenheimer, for example).

30. Lisa says:

Notre Damce College is a completely different school. If they were talking about us, that was a BIG screw up.

31. Bob says:

Brendan,

On a more serious note, you were amazing on that video! Did you know the questions in advance? You were cool and composed and spoke with knowledge and authority. Excellent work!

32. MumZ says:

You were awesome- composed, thoughtful, and well spoken. Calling Tucker by his first name was turnabout- if he wanted to be called Mr Carlson, he should have called you Mr Loy. Great job Brendan- and wonderful publicity for Notre Dame.

33. Lori says:

Besides the obivious misspellings, YOU DID AWESOME. Well spoken, calm and smooth….I see a great lawyer in the future (maybe a lawyer for hurrican survivors??) =))

Pat pat pat (me patting you on the back you deserve it)

34. Lisa says:

BrAAAAAAAAAAAndon — Applause!!! You ROCKED!!!!!! Gave ol Tucker a run for his bow-tie!

Next time you get on the tele (which I believe WILL happen) you should have an emergency name badge in your pocket and slap it on your shirt right when you go “live”.

35. Peter says:

Brendan …

When I was your age I had hair like that and now I look back on those old photos and **cringe**.

Do something, man

Peter

36. Brenda says:

You did great Mr.brendan!! and I love your hair its sexy!! I also need youremail addy to send you an email I received tat you may have interest in. It usd to be on here, but I assume you ran outta room. Dont worry no nude pics, just a political speech made recently. Wooo just think of the brendan loy groupies!! Tell Becky if you get a few thongs in the mail it just comes with the territory!! (giggles)

37. coop says:

Hey Loy. First, great work thru this thing.

Second, dial down the star trip a bit and get back to the great work.

38. Brendan McGinn says:

I have mentione this before.

I, personally, HATE BEING CALLED BRANDON!

I feel for you.

I don’t get it. It’s not like Brendan is an uncommon name. If I go on TV, will they list my name as Andre? or Andruw? Jeez.

40. flyer says:

I’ve gone through 31 years of mistakenly being called “Brandon.” I stopped going to great lengths to correct people a long time ago, at least in those on the spot introductions to people I’ll never speak to again. I’d probably go off the charts, though, if MSNBC got my name wrong on live TV.

Small consolation – at least they didn’t make you a “Brenda.” It’s happened to me and, oh, the quick witted humor that results. Everyone’s a comedian.

Anyway, well done and best of luck.

Brendan Quinn

41. Mike says:

Well, in all fairness, according to the social security administration, the least common the name Brandon has been since 1980 was the 30th most common name given to new born males. The most common Brendan has been in the same time frame was 96th. You have to go back to 1962 to find a year in which more Brendans were born than Brandons, with Brendan at rank 510 and Brandon at rank 565. So Brandon really is a significantly more common name than Brendan, whereas Andrew is much more common than Andre. Not that this excuses Fox News, of course, as they really should have caught this error. But one of the few advantages of having an excessively common name, though, is that most people can spell it correctly–although I’ve noticed that isn’t always the case…

And because I’m me, I have to bring up the ridiculous overuse of the name Michael, which held the number 1 spot in terms of newborn males continuously from 1961 through 1998, when it finally slipped to (and has held at) the number 2 spot–Jacob has since held the top spot. (In 1960, David passed Michael for its only year in US records as the most common name given to newborn males; Michael had been the most common name for newborn males from 1954 through 1959 as well.) You have to go back to 1942 for Michael to fall off the top 10. This is one of the many reasons that no son of mine will be a Mike Jr. The only other male names in the same category of long streaks at number one are Robert (1924-1938) and John (first record year of 1880 to 1923, followed by 5 years at number 2). On the female side, long streaks of being the most common name for newborns are held by Jessica (1985-1990, and 1993-1995 after 2 years at number 2), Jennifer (1970-1984) and Mary (from the first record year of 1880 to 1946, then 1953-1961 after 6 years at number 2, and then followed by another 4 years at number 2).

This has been your pointlessly long monologue about overly common names. You may now return to more interesting ways to waste time on the internet.

42. Mike says:

My apologies–I accidentally omitted James (1939-1952, flanked by a few years at number 2 on either end). Which is kind of funny, really, as I’m aware of how common that name was, given that my father is a James born in that time frame, and James is my middle name.

Mike, also, it was MSNBC who made the error, not Fox News.

Brendan may be a less common name than Brandon, I never argued otherwise. My point was that, either way, Brendan is a fairly common name with a very simple phonetic structure that sounds exactly as its written almost (you could argue “Bren-den” is closer to how it actually sounds). How one misspells a name like that so easily just makes no sense.

44. mrs. says:

No matter what your name is, I always thought you’d end up on national news! Well done . . . you didn’t even talk too fast!

45. Alasdair says:

Brenda Quim – things could have been worse ! (grin)

Mike – ya hadta do it ! I just checked – and Alasdair didn’t make the top 1000 in the past 75 years …

I shouldn’t complain, though … they probably won’t name a Hurricane after me for a LONG time …

#1 daughter’s name is Caitriana (pronounced as is Katrina) … I found out last night that she may be working for FEMA for a while in the Los Angeles area, cuz they need spanish-speaking people to help ’em right now …

I can hear it now … “Good morning/afternoon – you have reached FEMA Disaster something-or-other – my name is Caitriana – what may I do for you today ?”

(innocent grin)

46. Brendan says:

dial down the star trip a bit and get back to the great work

It’s not a “star trip.” This post is the only one where I was really basking in the glow of the fame to any degree. All the other posts about my various interviews (re: Fox News interviews being scheduled and cancelled, etc.) are informational — I know there are people out there who want to watch me on TV (friends and family as well as random Internet acquaintances), and posting about it on my blog is the easiest way to keep everyone in the loop. Likewise with the posts about my website bandwidth issues. I’m just keeping people informed about what’s going on. Anyway, if you look around the homepage, you’ll see an awful lot of substantive posts. I’ve been making a conscious effort to avoid having the homepage be completely taken over by “me, me, me” news. But both things are going to be there.

I appreciate that you think I’ve been doing “great work,” I really do. But please remember, this isn’t actually work… it’s not my job… it’s my hobby… it’s my blog. I post about my life and about various other topics, including the news, weather, sports, etc. But to ask me not to post about what’s happening in my life is to misunderstand what this blog fundamentally is.

I, personally, HATE BEING CALLED BRANDON!

I, personally, don’t care. I really don’t. I don’t get particularly exercised about it — I rarely correct anyone in everyday conversation for pronouncing my name wrong. BUT, in this case, it mattered (because of the domain name issue) and it was in print (which is far worse than pronounciation), on national TV no less, so that’s the only reason I particularly cared.

You’re right, Andrew–I criticized the wrong news network. My mistake; sorry about that.

48. David Ross says:

Congratulations on a VERY well-earned 15 minutes! Maybe next time people will listen… keep us informed about Ophelia (I’m in Houston and I don’t fancy our chances in a cat-5).

49. Josette says:

Tucker Carlson basically fellated you for 5 minutes.

i must have been watching a different MSNBC, because i saw no oral treats. ;)

way to represent indiana bloggers, brendan!

50. JUSTICElady says:

I want to commend you Brandon!

I have two sons and you made

quite an impression on me.

Keep up the good work and I know

you will go far in life!

God Bless

51. JUSTICElady says:

BRENDAN, immediate apologizes on

the incorrect spelling of your name!

I am Old, but still counting. :P

52. JUSTICElady says:

Please let me know if you leave

this backup site and go back to your other site which I do not know the address. I want to keep

reading and posting on your truly

great site!

Proud of you

in North Carolina

53. V says:

B, that was an awesome interview! My mom stayed up to watch it live while I’m a loser and fell asleep. I feel like I’m friends with a famous person now! Keep up the good work.