Beam me up, God

Actor James Doohan, most famous for his role as Chief Engineer Montgomery “Scotty” Scott from TV’s Star Trek passed away this morning at his Redmond, WA home from a combination of pneumonia and Alzheimer’s. He was 85.

Doohan, a Canadian born actor served in the Canadian armed forces and was a veteran of the D-Day invasion. After the war he enrolled in an acting class in Toronto and went on to win a scholarship at the famed Neighborhood Playhouse in New York, where he was a classmate of Leslie Nielson and Tony Randall.

Unlike fellow Trek actors William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, who both struggled with the legacy of their roles for many years before coming to accept them later in life, Doohan early on came to accept and enjoy the after effects of his Scotty role.

Doohan is survived by his nine children (six from his previous two marriages) and his wife Wende of 28 years.

10 Responses to “Beam me up, God”

I was expecting <i>Sean</i> to post on this subject.

2. josh says:

I guess this is one final “beaming up” for Scotty.

And I still say my favorite chapter in his autobiography was his discussion of experiences during WWII. One thing that not everyone knew about Doohan was that he actually lost the middle finger on one of his hands; every close-up of Scotty’s hands were either (a) another actor’s or (b) placed in such a way that it was impossible to tell. One of the only times you can see his lack of a finger is in Star Trek IV when he’s working on the old Apple computer back in 1987 … The title of the WWII chapter of his autobiography? “Giving the Finger to Hitler.”

Rest in peace, Scotty. I’m sure Bones is waiting for you.

3. Brendan says:

RIP, Scotty.

Nice headline, David. :)

4. David says:

As much as I would like to take credit for it, my brother Andrew actually mentioned it first (although USC Megan made the same comment when I told her about it later in the day).

I was expecting Sean to post on this subject.

6. josh says:

I guess this is one final “beaming up” for Scotty.

Rest in peace, Scotty. I’m sure Bones is waiting for you.

7. Brendan says: