We’re #24

The latest U.S. News law-school rankings came out last week. Notre Dame dropped from #20 to #24, producing the following e-mail message from Dean O’Hara:

The vagaries of the process by which the rankings are produced are such that little, if anything, of significance can be deduced from this change. There continues to be a good deal of compression beyond schools ranked in the top 20.

I write to share this information with you because I know that many students await these rankings with interest. At the same time I remind you that virtually all the deans of the more than 180 ABA-approved law schools, myself included, believe that such rankings are flawed and fail to consider a number of important factors. You might be interested in our thoughts in this regard which can be found [here].

Hmm… I wonder if the dean released a similar statement last year, when NDLS moved up in the rankings… :)

P.S. Yeah, I know I’m a little slow on the uptake with this story. I meant to post it last week, but I kept getting distracted and never got around to it till now.

39 Responses to “We’re #24”

1. Aristotle says:

“Top 25 Law School” it is again…

2. Pete Carroll says:

<i>I went to Notre Dame for the football.</i>

My condolences.

Cool, USC is #18.

4. Kate says:

For the record — that’s the same form letter Patty O sends out every year regardless of our place in the rankings.

5. Becky says:

I came to Notre Dame for the sex.

6. IntegriTY says:

I would have given my left ear to be ranked number 24. Alas, I have never had a bad day, so this really isn’t that big of a deal.

7. I’ve always said there are:

-the top 3 schools, which are made up of about 5
    -the top 10, made up about about 15
    -and the top 25, made up of about 40 or so

The schools move up and down in the rankings so much it is so hard to say one school is 1 point higher or lower than another. So much of it is based on reputation rather than reality.

Anyway, I went to Notre Dame for the football.

8. Brendan says:

Interesting, Kate, thanks for the info!

lol @ Carroll and Becky

10. Alfred D. says:

Next year they should create a category entitled “Faculty members dumb enough to send money to Howard Dean” and deduct one point for every dollar contributed. Notre Dame will quickly rise to an impregnable #1 position.

11. Of course when I was at Notre Dame, it was during that period of time when Notre Dame won 14 straight wins against USC or something like that. I remember a letter to the editor in the LA Times back then that said something like:

“If Notre Dame wants to continue to play amongst the elites, it should drop Navy, Purdue and USC from the schedule.”

Of course all three of those are now doing well…

12. Mike says:

Once again, USNews refuses to update their rankings of the sciences, and instead leaves their rankings from 2002 as the most recent. This annoys me, as it’s not like we science nerds are that rare–in fact, there are more grad students in the combined biology programs here at Stanford than there are medical students. Add in chemistry, physics, geology, and math, and we’re a rather substantial number. Oh, well, I can’t complain too badly–Stanford stays listed as number 1, and at least we’re updated more often than library science. :)

13. Charlie Weis says:

This law school is not NASTY enough. Get with it, I better see 95 recruits, ERR prospective students at the open house next week. Not 93 or 94, but 95 or the entire staff is fired.

14. Aristotle says:

“Top 25 Law School” it is again…

15. Pete Carroll says:

<i>I went to Notre Dame for the football.</i>

My condolences.

Cool, USC is #18.

17. Kate says:

18. Becky says:

I came to Notre Dame for the sex.

19. IntegriTY says:

20. I’ve always said there are:

-the top 3 schools, which are made up of about 5
    -the top 10, made up about about 15
    -and the top 25, made up of about 40 or so

Anyway, I went to Notre Dame for the football.

21. Brendan says:

Interesting, Kate, thanks for the info!

lol @ Carroll and Becky

23. Alfred D. says:

24. Of course when I was at Notre Dame, it was during that period of time when Notre Dame won 14 straight wins against USC or something like that. I remember a letter to the editor in the LA Times back then that said something like:

Of course all three of those are now doing well…

25. Mike says:

26. Charlie Weis says:

27. Aristotle says:

“Top 25 Law School” it is again…

28. IntegriTY says:

29. I’ve always said there are:

-the top 3 schools, which are made up of about 5

-the top 10, made up about about 15

-and the top 25, made up of about 40 or so

Anyway, I went to Notre Dame for the football.

30. Pete Carroll says:

I went to Notre Dame for the football.

My condolences.

31. Becky says:

I came to Notre Dame for the sex.

32. Charlie Weis says:

lol @ Carroll and Becky

Cool, USC is #18.

35. Mike says:

36. Alfred D. says:

37. Kate says:

38. Of course when I was at Notre Dame, it was during that period of time when Notre Dame won 14 straight wins against USC or something like that. I remember a letter to the editor in the LA Times back then that said something like:

Of course all three of those are now doing well…

39. Brendan says:

Interesting, Kate, thanks for the info!